BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a 90 E350 with a 16ft deck, the regi says its NET 2416kg from factory and the GVW 4900kg, went into ICBC and asked if they could raise the GVW and they said sure no problem to 14,000lb, but my door post still has 11,000lb max on it how can that be? who would be right ICBC or the door in case of accident? I was told by the agent re weigh truck on scales as I know the NET is way low as thats what it weighed cab/chassis not with the deck etc on. they then said the take the NET and multiply by 1.5 for the GVW, I also know of a guy who has a F450 tow truck and the door post has 15,000lb on it but ICBC has it at 18,000lb, just want to know what the legality is and why or why not bump the GVW and what it means to the door post rating etc thanks, also does it change as it was a cutaway chassis from factory? and never had a completed net and gvw applied to it (just trying to read the legalities of the MV act text)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I've heard that in BC, they go by the door. I have my regy bumped up in Alberta and as long as my tires are good for the weight I'm golden. But if I go into BC, they'll look at the door numbers not the paper numbers. I had to get a trailer with it's own GVW and split my equipment so I can be legal weight in BC.

I would also think that if ICBC OK's it it should be good, as they are insuring it for that weight.

I would like to know a real answer also. Although it wouldn't affect me because I have nothing to do with ICBC.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I once asked an Autoplan Agent if they would refuse to license a GVW that was not reasonably possible for the vehicle. They could not answer the question.

Because your truck is a commercial vehicle (by definition) you must license it to meet the weight that you might carry and pull as part of a combination of vehicles (read trailer). The weight carried by most trailers is considered to be part of the truck's gross weight, therefore you must be licensed for it.

This is completely separate from what is safe to carry. You must not exceed the GVWR, the GAWR or the tire capacity. The manufacturer's GCWR has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with warranty. Exceed it and cause mechanical problems and you can expect the manufacturer to sidestep a claim for warranty because of your abuse of what the vehicle was designed to do.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats gcwr skidmark? and so if what you are saying is true the door sticker means squat when it comes to the loaded vehicle? so say i have a truck on the deck of my 1 ton van chassis and am over by door sticker but under my insured gvw and am doing so legally fully strapped down and have enough brakes etc and it has dual tires that can handle the load im all good?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok maybe i read wrong i can not load more than the GVWR thats subtracting the curb weight of the vehicle, there is an aftermarket tag for a finishing company that says 14,000lb but when i try to read the front and rear to add to get the 14,000 it is damaged there, it was done at Caytec in ALTA in the year it was built its right next to the factory ford tag, does that make a difference? and are they allowed to do that? change the GVWR that is?

·
Registered
944 Posts
ICBC apparently will allow you to unsure your vehicle to a completely unreasonable GVW. I recently did a commercial vehicle inspection on a F-550. The door said 17,800 lbs. The insurance and the door said 17,999 KG. That is more than double what the door rating was!! I think that it was due to someone confusing the GVW in lbs and KGs. At the weight it was insured for it would need semi annual inspections instead of annually. I doubt you could ever get a F-550 to carry a 13 tonne load. I recommended to the owner to change his GVW to the correct GVW, but the answer to the origanal posters question is ICBC will insure it for whatever you want to insure it for. But when it comes to coverage, I'm not sure what GVW will be cosidered the legal one.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
GAWR = Gross Axle Weight Rating
GCWR = Gross Combination Weight Rating

They are all set by the manufacturer. If I understand correctly, the first two need an engineers certificate in order to have ICBC change it on their official vehicle record.

If you are talking about the truck alone with no trailer, your weight capacity is the GVWR - the net or "curb" weight of the truck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
weird cause the insurance lady was like "how high do you want your GVWR?" but if the door post says 11,000lb guess im stuck with it, the Caytec has 14,000 but thats who did the finish and I dont have any documentation to back it

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heres another question regarding 1 tons skidmark, I have been told but may not be reliable info that 1 ton tow trucks are now illegal but up to a certain year 1990 i believe have been grandfathered in, is this true? also would you stop a 1 ton dualie ford van with a 16ft deck with say an F1504x4 on it? if all looked safe and strapped down? just for argument sake

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also the ICBC agent said if i go through scales empty and show my tare or curb weight they can re adjust the curb which will adjust the gvwr said they just take the tare and multiply by 1.5 sound right?

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
This is always a very confusing topic.

Licensed GVW and the manufacturers rating on the door are two totally seperate beasts.

The licensed GVW is a fee charged based on how much you weigh. The max licensed GVW in BC is 63,500kgs (exceptions by permit). With a few exceptions, the licensed GVW for the weight of a truck , tailer and it's whole load gets added to the licensed GVW of the truck. RV, Utility, horse and a few other trailers carry their own licensed gvw so the truck does not have to be increased.

The manufacturers rating cannot be changed without engineers approval and those weights must always be followed.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
so if you own a truck and tow a trailer that the GVW is part of the tow vehicle and the tow vehicle has a gvw of 5000 then the COMBINED weight of the combination truck and trailer can be up to 5000.

but if you have a truck with a gvw of 5000 and you tow a trailer with its own gvw of 5000 then the truck itself with the tounge weight can be up to 5000 and the trailer can be 5000 for a combined weight of 10000.

isn't there something on the door sticker about max weight you can tow? like you cant hook up a 15000lb trailer with its its own gvw to your samurai even if with tounge weight the samurai is within its own gvw.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I think you get the idea. The manufacturers rating of the truck can't ever be exceeded as well the trailers gvw can't ever be exceeded. The licensed GVW has to be equal or more than the weight of the two combined.

GCWR= Gross Combined Weight Rating. This number is not legislated and is used for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The following are quoted by an Autoplan agent after he check his manual...
The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is established by the manufacturer to indicate the maximum weight the vehicle can carry. This includes:
* the net weight of the vehicle
* its equipment, and
* its load
but does not include the towing capacity.
The licensed GVW may be greater than the GVWR to reflect the towing capacity.
Requirements for Increasing GVW:
You may increase the licensed GVW at your client’s request, but do not increase it above the maximum allowable GVW
Maximum Allowable Gross Vehicle Weight
The maximum weight a vehicle is legally allowed to carry. It is determined by:
* the number of axles,
* axle spacing, tire size, and
* horsepower of the vehicle,
as specified in the Commercial Transport Act.
The maximum allowable GVW for:
* a commercial vehicle (vehicle type 2) is 63,500 kg

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
There is part of the problem. The second bullet up above is very misleading because licensed GVW has nothing to do with the "allowable" weight a vehicle can "carry."

If you are hauling a commercial trailer that can haul 5000kgs, the licenced GVW will be way over what the door sticker says. No wonder people are confused.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.