BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be putting a "new to me" head on my 86 4 runner, I was just wondering if the timing cover has to come off and what to look for when purchising the head. and would it be worth my while putting in a cam or anything while I am at it? and will the headers off of my 81 fit the 86?

Anthony

------------------
Yota Anyone?

[This message has been edited by Gullygossner (edited December 25, 2001).]

·
1,269 Posts
I sure wish I'd put a hot cam in when I did mine, and no the timing cover doesn't have to come off, but it's a great idea to be able to play with the timing chain tensioner (as opposed to sticking a screwdriver down there and jiggling it around).

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

[This message has been edited by Big Bad Pete (edited December 26, 2001).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think the cover has to come off, been a few years though. Doing the chain would be a good idea, and if the head's coming off yeah you should go for the cam too. I think there's a few guys in Vancouver that'll regrind the stocker's for ya, much cheaper than buying one out of the states. You have to have a good core though. I'd go for an rv cam, because the 22rs really lack nuts in the bottom end. For the headers just check the ports.

------------------
IFS- Shouldn't that be a four letter word?

·
1,269 Posts
Comp Cams makes a cam that begins making torque @1000rpm (a few hundred lower than Crane and the others I looked at). Should cost around $150 if you have a discount at Lordco.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts