BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power differences if any of 4-into-1 vs tri-y, your knowledge is appreciated

------------------
86 Runner- NWOR header, K&N filter, 3in body 32's, and oh yea the best parts-bent frame, IFS, and no muffler_-+FOR SALE+-_
85 Runner 5.5 suspension, 3 body, 35's.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If the toy header junk is the same as for my 'rice' car ahahahha, then 4to1 will yield better top end flow and tri y will yield more low end torque.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanx for your info, can anyone confirm this?

------------------
86 Runner- NWOR header, K&N filter, 3in body 32's, and oh yea the best parts-bent frame, IFS, and no muffler_-+FOR SALE+-_

·
Registered
802 Posts
And you want low-end torque.

I have heard that the LC Engineering unit is the best header, and I suspect that it's the most expensive. Doug B has a Doug Thorley header from NSOR and he's pretty happy with it; I think it's the cheapest header.

Have a read of the Downey and Northwest Off Road catalogs for differences between the tri-y and 4-1 headers; they slam each other's product and they make for a good read.

N8er, what's your opinion of your NWOR header?

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed that my engine was alot stronger, and that I could now idle up inclines where I would have stalled before. I chose the NWOR header because it was local(I was living in bellingham at the time). Now that i have another runner with the same engine, different header, gears, tires, I wasnt able to tell the differences. With this info, I will probibly end up swaping the tri-y into my keeper truck. I am unsure of the brand of header currently installed. As for the most expensive, NWOR is up there at around 400 US for header&cat link.

------------------

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm running a NWOR header and noticed an increase in low end power. It bolted right in w/ no probs. My only complaint is the finish on the header. It's kinda rusty now. If I could do it all over, I'd get an LC one instead 'cuz it's stainless steel.

------------------
1986 Toy pickup
Locked, geared, winched and EFI converted

·
Registered
87 Posts
I put on an lc street performer header and definately found that my bottom end power is alotter. I can keep the revs lower and not stall out. Expensive though at around a few hundred yankee dollars, but I am not sure as I had bought a whole bunch of stuff from them at the time. Had the header on a year and a half and found no rusting or pitting. They put some ceramics on the header to stop the rust.

[This message has been edited by burger (edited March 16, 2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts