BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im building a 283 for my toyota. it is .030 over and has 11:1 forged pistons. i need a set of heads. i have a few sets lined up. but alwasy looking for a better deal. i dont want crazy amounts of compresion so i was looking for a 1.94 open chamber head. i found some, but i am able to get a set of 350 tpi heads in good shape for cheap. they're a 1.94 closed chamber and flow better then the old 1.94 camel hump heads. what should i go for? i realiz that with the tpi heads i will have to redrill my manitold but is there and other mods needed with them?

------------------
85 toyota 7" lift 35s, Rolled grad camping 3 days after I painted it

·
Registered
391 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the intake mounting surface is also at a different angle so you might need a new intake all together. Do your camel humps have accesory holes, some didnt, that could also give you problems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont have any heads i was stating that they are a better design then the old camel humps

------------------
85 toyota 7" lift 35s, Rolled grad camping 3 days after I painted it

·
Registered
536 Posts
Originally posted by Jamie Smith:
im building a 283 for my toyota. it is .030 over and has 11:1 forged pistons. i need a set of heads. i have a few sets lined up. but alwasy looking for a better deal. i dont want crazy amounts of compresion so i was looking for a 1.94 open chamber head. i found some, but i am able to get a set of 350 tpi heads in good shape for cheap. they're a 1.94 closed chamber and flow better then the old 1.94 camel hump heads. what should i go for? i realiz that with the tpi heads i will have to redrill my manitold but is there and other mods needed with them?

I would stick to the old style heads easier to find and even if you to run 172 heads i dont think you notice much of a differance. Another think to watch for is cam design 283s dont like big cams.know from experiance The stroke is to short to allow to much overlap.If you need some heads i might have some here if not i know lots of performance people that can fix you up

·
Registered
55 Posts
ive installed late model intakes on older engines and there are no manifold angles to worry about.only the centre bolt holes in the middle of the intake need to be oblonged because the angle of bolt only is different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.