BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to be poking around Hedley again (I'm hooked on the mines!) this coming long weekend. Seeing as how it's not too far from Osoyoos, I may also take a run up there. But before I do, I need to know what kinds of points of interest there are? Mines? Alkaline lakes? Desert? What?

Give me details (and photos if possible). Pirelli? You reading this?

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
It has been a few years since I have been there, but here goes...

AFAIK, the spotted lake is off limits. Private property

There is a Burrowing Owl thingy on the north end of Osoyoos Lake, along with a interpretation centre ?

Haynes Point Provincial Park is a must. Walk the sand bar that goes from one side of the lake to the other.

The Flee Market at OK Falls is bigger than the town of OK Falls.

Check for a town of Osoyoos website. Might have some info for you.

Wes

·
Registered
920 Posts
Lars!

howdy howdy, finally someone might be coming down to osoyoos. What are you going to be doing in hedley?? any wheeling? want a tag along?
ok in osoyoos there is... haynes point- lake is high so i dont think you can walk right across the sand bar but its worth a shot, warmest lake in canada (also most polluted) hehe umm there are easy romping trails up kruger mtn that give nice views along with lost ponds here and there, great fishing at kilpoola lake which is up kruger mtn. There is a good trail apparently hard to do which is up strawberry creek... i'll guide ya there if you want to test out whichever vehicle your gonna have. Old mines ALL OVER kruger mtn, all of which i havent found yet but i do know of quite a few large ones, bring rubber boots if you want to explore a couple.
Then we have a lookout tower on kobau mtn which is on westonians webpage http://members.shaw.ca/wheeling_experience/4x41.htm
under contributions then osoyoos. main pic is from kobau but the road is definately a 2wd washboard dusty experience. If you want we can head down the back of the kobau mtn on a cow trail which ends up in keremoes i think.
For hardcore bush wheeling with rocks and mud you can hit anarchist mtn, best trails are about 30 mins from osoyoos up anarchist mtn by baldy.

any more info you need?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Lars!

Parnelli_001 said:
howdy howdy, finally someone might be coming down to osoyoos. What are you going to be doing in hedley?? any wheeling? want a tag along?
You're welcome to meet us in Hedley.

Thanks for the info. Now for some questions.

there are easy romping trails up kruger mtn that give nice views along with lost ponds here and there, great fishing at kilpoola lake which is up kruger mtn. There is a good trail apparently hard to do which is up strawberry creek... i'll guide ya there if you want to test out whichever vehicle your gonna have. Old mines ALL OVER kruger mtn, all of which i havent found yet but i do know of quite a few large ones, bring rubber boots if you want to explore a couple.
What are these mines like? Do they have complete shaft systems that we can explore or are most caved-in?

Then we have a lookout tower on kobau mtn which is on westonians webpage
Didn't see a pic of it.

We're not really looking for hardcore stuff since we'll have at least one stock 4x4 with us. Just looking for good exploring and camping that will entertain everyone (ie: fourwheelers and non-fourwheelers alike).

Right now, we're leaning towards going to the Phoenix mine up around Grand Forks. Interested?

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ok now you have 2 stockers with you then, haha count me in for sure. I'll hook up with you in hedley i hope, any dates yet?
Pheonix is a favourite as i go there almost every weekend on my way to christina lake, its a nice 2wd shortcut from the highway.

The mines are mostly caved except for 3 that i have found. One goes back for about a mile then loops into a circle and back out. Very neat stuff though like old water barrels and beams along with core samples and pop cans dating to 1960ish. Another one has a gold trolley in it as of last year which is frozen to the tracks and is located in our famous "glory holes" make sure we get about 15 mins to check those out.

Just tell me some dates when you get them set and i'll come a crawling along.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Are you guys planning on camping down here? just found a really nice spot today however a campfire ban is on now and is strictly enforced. We have the fire warded down here as i have seen him on the trails way more then 3 times this weekend!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mr Parnelli - If you are going up Phoenix Mtn - do you where the "City of Paris" is ? It's a pretty intact ghost-town, just spitting distance off one of the roads. Well hidden in forest but lots of old building to poke around in. If you're interested I can try & get the detailed directions from my friend in Greenwood.

·
Registered
920 Posts
hey yeah i am interested in that place... never heard of it before! i am leaving to meet newtoyo up there in probably 6 hours or so, any way of getting the info before then? i know of hartley pheonix road, marshall lake road and a couple others but more details would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can try, but prob not until tomoro/or later tonite. I have only visited there once & can't remember the directions. There's a couple good mine shafts that yu can literally walk thru the mountain with (I didn't because it STINKS) but some locals have.
Also going thru Greenwood have you visited the "slag" heaps ? My friend hosts a demo-derby up there every year. Will try to get directions today. Best watch out poking around too as there's lots of abandoned mine "vents" in bush you can fall into.

·
Registered
920 Posts
thanks for the advice... those are tough spots to watch for. When are those demo derbys held?? i always hear about them but never had a chance to see one yet! yup the slag heaps i have been to and are very interesting,

·
Registered
920 Posts
Lars, you getting this? anyone in the group have GPS?? Thanks for the govnt site lgdb! Funny i have never seen it before, i hope we can find it! sounds big with large mines running close to the border and such.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive explored the area a couple a years ago, great choice. A must see is the Phoenix cemetary. There is also a good book on the area called "Ghost Towns & Mining Camps of the Boundary Country" by Garnet Basque. Lars, got these coordinates off another site, can't remember the one though. These are all around the Greenwood area.

GPS Coordinates

Sappho Mine (DNF)
49º 00' 17.93"
118º 42' 06.99"

No. 7 Mine (DNF)
49º 01' 29.64"
118º 38' 25.87"

Lexington Mine (DNF)
49º 00' 42.38"
118º 36' 52.97"

The Lost City of Paris
49º ??' ??.??"
118º ??' ??.??

Clearcut Rhodonite Mine
49º 12' 02.00"
118º 37' 00.00"

Phoenix Mine
49º 05 31.33"
118º 35' 59.21"

Winnipeg Mine (DNF)
49º 04' 30.39"
118º 34" 17.64"

PAC Mine (DNF)
49º 07' 12.32"
118º 32' 41.72"

Oro Denoro Mine
49º 07' 36.02"
118º 32' 55.27"

Rock Candy Mine
49º 15' 40.14"
118º 29' 46.81"

Union Mine
49º 33' 32.76"
118º 21' 04.32"

Bluejoint Mountain Lookout
49º 32' 51.58"
118º 31' 12.57

Republic/Non Such/Last Chance Mine
49º 03' 35"
118º 42' 17"

Croesus Mine
49º 03' 42"
118º 40' 00"

Tam O’Shanter Mine
49º 04' 24"
118º 43' 41"

Phelstan Jackpot Mine
49º 03' 54"
118º 33' 56"

Skylark Mine
49º 05' 29"
118º 38' 18"

Providence Mine
49º 06' 37"
118º 40' 01"

Greyhound Mine
49º 06' 05"
118º 42' 07"

Motherload Mine
49º 06' 42"
118º 42' 59"

Jewel Mine
49º 09' 42"
118º 36' 42"

Big Copper Mine
49º 07' 24"
118º 47' 00"

·
Registered
920 Posts
City of paris is 49 00 31n latitude nad 118 36 27 W longitude. actually with the coords a gps isnt really needed but dont get me wrong is still a plus! just go to mapblast.com or mapquest.com and type in the coords and it will put a big red X exactly where the pt is. remember when typing the coord in its -118 39 27, otherwise ya end up in asia

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Parnelli_001 wrote:
Ok now you have 2 stockers with you then, haha count me in for sure. I'll hook up with you in hedley i hope, any dates yet?
Probably camp along the Ashnola River on Friday night (ie: Aug 2). Explore that shaft in Hedley on Sat morning, and then drive to the Phoenix Mine later that same day?

Parnelli_001 wrote:

Pheonix is a favourite as i go there almost every weekend on my way to christina lake, its a nice 2wd shortcut from the highway.
The mines are mostly caved except for 3 that i have found. One goes back for about a mile then loops into a circle and back out. Very neat stuff though like old water barrels and beams along with core samples and pop cans dating to 1960ish. Another one has a gold trolley in it as of last year which is frozen to the tracks and is located in our famous "glory holes" make sure we get about 15 mins to check those out.
Sounds interesting.

Parnelli_001 wrote:

Are you guys planning on camping down here?
Probably not.

lgbd wrote:

I can try, but prob not until tomoro/or later tonite. I have only visited there once & can't remember the directions. There's a couple good mine shafts that yu can literally walk thru the mountain with (I didn't because it STINKS) but some locals have.
PLEASE tell me more about these shafts!

Parnelli_001

Lars, you getting this? anyone in the group have GPS?? Thanks for the govnt site lgdb! Funny i have never seen it before, i hope we can find it! sounds big with large mines running close to the border and such.
Yeah, sorry for the late reply. We'll be bringing a couple of GPSs with us and if I'm feeling super geeky, maybe my laptop as well. Um, what gov't website are you talking about?

Nazz wrote:

Ive explored the area a couple a years ago, great choice. A must see is the Phoenix cemetary. There is also a good book on the area called "Ghost Towns & Mining Camps of the Boundary Country" by Garnet Basque. Lars, got these coordinates off another site, can't remember the one though. These are all around the Greenwood area.
Thanks for that book recommendation, Nazz. Yeah, I have those coords, too. Got them from Greg Sue's excellent write-up.

I will have to plot all those coords on a map to see which ones are bunched together so we can limit ourselves to the closest spots (3 days isn't a lot of time).

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
50 Posts
Me again - will you be doing Phoenix on Saturday or Sunday ? We will also be kicking off holidays in Osoyoos arriving Sat the 2nd. We too, planned on showing our friends the slag/Phoenix etc, but not sure which day & hopefully can arrange to have local friends act as "guides".

·
Registered
920 Posts
hey thanks lgbd for the website, sorry i didnt reply faster, that govnt site is pretty educational! And those dates sound really good, gives me enough time to throw the skid plates etc.. back on the truck. I will be going up to find as many of the mines as possible on monday with newtoyo and we'll let ya know how it goes.
Camping up the ashnola river is great! unfortunately the bug spray and warm clothes are necessity but thats the way of the wild eh? I am going to be purchasing a GPS soon, what are some suggestions on what i should get?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Parnelli_001 said:
hey thanks lgbd for the website, sorry i didnt reply faster, that govnt site is pretty educational! And those dates sound really good, gives me enough time to throw the skid plates etc.. back on the truck. I will be going up to find as many of the mines as possible on monday with newtoyo and we'll let ya know how it goes.
Fantastic.

lgbd, I presume you're taking Hwy 3 through Hedley to Osoyoos? Trying raising us on CB 4 when you drive by. What is your agenda for Saturday, just the Phoenix mine? Based on the maps on that mine website you mentioned, many of the claims seem to be very close to one another. It looks like the Phoenix Mine area could easily occupy an entire weekend of poking around.

Parnelli_001, where would you recommend for camping near the Phoenix Mine? Are there any fire station lookouts that we can camp at?

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are lots of spots on the mountain that hunters etc have camped at (by the looks of abandon fire rings etc). Will be in touch with my locals this week to find out if they'd be avail to meet/guide to "attractions"(hopefully not also leaving town). Yes we'll be going thru Hedley & will monitor the CB. Driving big Grey 95 Dodge Ram 4X4. Sat afternoon will be dropping RV at in Osoy & setting up camp for weekend. Sunday will most likely be the day to go to Greenwood. A nice place to camp near there is Jewel Lake. Not on Phoenix but very close by. There's a campsite with showers etc there.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts