BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had been recently informed that the regulations on heim joints in canada has changed allowing them to be passable for D O T.
does any one know antything about this? i beleive there was an article in a bc 4x4 newsletter on the subject or maybe the associations'.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I posted the article here but it got lost in the "big crash." Hopefully someone can post it again.

It didn't actually say Heims were "ok." I think it said they were ok as long as they were being used for their intended purpose or something like that. IMO, I think you would still risk failing an MVI if you used Heim joints for steering. For control arms, maybe not. Maybe someone who knows more about this can jump in here.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
136 Posts
"I" posted this a while back and u guys didnt believe me.. remember??...
Heim Joints will be passed on any component.. ie: Steering and Suspension..... it may sound harsh but it is true..

Here it is again:

RE: Heim Joints, Rod Ends, Notice 6/2000

Vehicles built with this type of suspension, steering and other linkages shall have these linkages inspected for structural integrity as intended by design, Ensuring that these joints/linkages are not modified, installed properly without binding, have locking nuts/devices in place when required, and that they are of recognized manufacturer

If these joint and rod ends meet the above installation criteria the vehicle shall not be rejected for having heim jounts or rod ends installed.

Please note that the same joint or rode ends that has been modified, welded upon, not having locking nuts or similar devices and improperly installed, IE with a bolt through a tapered hole shall be REJECTED.

this is keeping with the industry norms for aftermarket suspenison and steering components manufactured by recognized manufacturers.

lars said:
I posted the article here but it got lost in the "big crash." Hopefully someone can post it again.

It didn't actually say Heims were "ok." I think it said they were ok as long as they were being used for their intended purpose or something like that. IMO, I think you would still risk failing an MVI if you used Heim joints for steering. For control arms, maybe not. Maybe someone who knows more about this can jump in here.

...lars

·
Registered
136 Posts
Straight from ICBC? i am a mechanic and we get notices in for this sorta stuff all the time.. all it does is replace the old notice that stated Heim Joints are illegal.............

·
Registered
136 Posts
what is there to say hmmmmmmmmm about?? take off your skirt and charge it.. its legal man....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts