BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in the midst of helping my brother-in-law swap out the 302 and put in a 351 w. engine. problem: engine turns over manually just fine when not in the truck, but when bolted up to the tranny 4spd) will not rotate at all, engine in neutral etc...? i'm stuck as to what to do. the 351 is a 95 block we are making carberated, and the 302 was an h.o. model carb as well. any help would be greatly appreciated. clutch is not cought up on anything either.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Maybe the tranny top cover was not put on correctly, and the tranny is locked in two gears at the same time. This is surprisingly easy to do - trust me. Can you turn the tranny input shaft by hand when the engine is out? Are you sure?

If you can remove the top cover without dropping the engine/tranny, that would be a quick & easy check.

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, i can use all the help can get @ this point. i'll try it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The flywheels might be different and the starter is hung up on it. Different sized pilot bearings and the input shaft is hung up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
OK bear with me here ... have you tried to get the starter to turn when it is off the engine? have you considered that maybe the starter or the relay is shot? If you've checked these then just ignore this but if not, it may be your problem.

G

·
Here are a few things I have found out the hard way in swapping Ford engines. Ford has 3 bell housings for SB's. Each with different depths. They also have 5 different pressure plates that have different hights. This we found out when swapping a 300 - 6, from a '85 into a '76. The pressure plate would hit the bellhouseing & jam. We had to put engine on the floor, try different bellhousings/pressure plate combos (without the clutch plate) & turn the engine over to see if it would bind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts