BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so me and some buddied decided to check out that little trail behind the keg in bby.. after roaming around for a bit we decided to leave...here's my problem now..my 4 wheel drive light won't turn off...my 4hi and 4 low and 2 wheel drive or working but the light won't turn off...i'm thinking it's most likely the sensor..anyone else have this problem before??..

allan

------------------
93 YJ, 4" lift with 32's.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ya im having that problem in my bronco but its just the sener on the t-case is dirty and is stuck on.. i just took the fuse out because i know when i put it into 4 wheel drive

------------------
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
AND THIS TRUCK IS FOR SALE

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i checked and cleaned all the lines the light is still on..the 4wd low, hi and 2wd all seem to work fine..but that damn light still won't turn off..i'm thinking sensor but i have no idea where it is...is there anyone out there that can help me??..

tia,
allan

------------------

·
Registered
92 Posts
can't find any thing in my manual relating
to a switch or sensor for the 4x4 light.
have never had my console apart to see
if a switch exists on the lever itself.

call around maybe someone can give you info over the phone

cheers: eric

------------------
when i die ,the jeep goes with me!

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by big jeep'n:
ok i checked and cleaned all the lines the light is still on..the 4wd low, hi and 2wd all seem to work fine..but that damn light still won't turn off..i'm thinking sensor but i have no idea where it is...is there anyone out there that can help me??..
First, make sure that the front passenger wheel is uncoupled from the inner axle shaft by jacking up that wheel when your Jeep is in 2wd and turning it by hand. If the driveshaft turns, then the inner and outer shafts are coupled which, of course, is wrong.

You either have a problem with your vacuum shift motor or the vacuum lines or the vacuum switch on your transfer case.

There are two versions of the vacuum shift motor so I don't recall the differences. I do know, however, that some of them have an electric switch to confirm that the coupler is coupling. If the driveshaft doesn't turn, then the electric switch in the vacuum shift motor is probably faulty. You do have electrical wires going to the shift motor, don't you? If not, then there is probably a sensor on your vacuum switch on the transfer case.

Remember, XJs don't have the front axle disconnects (may be wrong here...I know the SelecTrac ones don't but I can never remember about the CommandTrac ones) so that's why an XJ manual may not mention the coupler verification switch.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited December 31, 2001).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

G

·
CHeck the firewall on the passengers side. If there is a little blue battery looking thingy there that is the dash light vaccum sensor. It may be plugged or just stuck. Check it out.

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"I hope that was the skidplate"
www.members.home.net/ichris4x4/index

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
xj's do have the vacuum disconect, not all of them though. mine does, I pulled the vacuum lines for it out and ran them into the cab so I can control the axle myself(2low is nice).
just put the tcase in 2wd and try turning the front shaft. if it turns freely then no worries other than an annoying light. if it dosn't turn then its a prob

if the front shaft is not turning try pushing on the tcase linkage while your under there to make sure it is completly in 2wd, the linkage bushings may be worn enough giving enough slop to not completly disengage 4wd

------------------
the pages of my life, http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/edges

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok well i did some more test last night...i took off the vacuum lines on both sides the front axle and the transfer case...i am getting a sucking sensation
...wierd thing is when i pull the hose out the light turns off...anyone know what that means?...sensor?...i checked the 4wd and 2wd again seem to work fine...i will try and jack it up on the weekend and try spinning the tires...

allan

------------------

[This message has been edited by big jeep'n (edited January 04, 2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts