BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a burn...I was in Vancouver, I needed the Tuffy Security Console and glove box. My 'preferred' shop didn't have them but said they could get them in, so I went to another shop and bought them. The 'prefered' shop just called telling me they had the part in. I explained I already got it, and now they want to charge me a restocking fee!! what am I to do? I mean I was told at their shop that they didn't have them in, but they had some on order (I didn't realize they were special order for me) they have the parts sitting there, and claim they can't hold them so they got to go back or get sold. I told him to give me till mid-week to see if I can get them sold for them.

Am I obligated to them for this fee?? I didn't agree to anything since I thought they were just out of stock on those pieces.

if anyone wants the combo it's 640.59 Cdn including tax and all that Jazz...I'm not raising or lowering the price, you'd have to buy directly from the shop. I'm sure if you just wanted one or the other they will part them out seperately.

Btw it's for a TJ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you didnt order it you dont owe them anything.How do they plan on charging you?If they`re gonna try putting it on your charge card just call the card company and tell them not to let that particular store put anything on your card.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Unless you said "order them" they can't make you pay for anything, period. If they charge your CC just call the CC company and tell them that you didn't authorize any charges for the items... it's fruad for them to do that and it's very illegal too. It sounds like they are just trying to strong arm you into paying. Even if you do order something most places have a grace period in which you can cancel an order and not be hit with a restocking fee.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I asked if it was in Stock, they said no, so obviously I went to a sotre where it was available...as it was they told me they had them on order, I assumed it was a run out of stock type order, not that it would be specifically for me...

what I did purchase from them was in cash I bought the lift at one store and did them the favour of driving to their other location to pickup another item. I drove to the other store because it was a tuesday after the long weekend and I was told the parts didn't make it to the store I was at because of the Stat. I was not directly asked if I wanted it ordered, the salesmen said he could get it for me at which point I said well I really want to get all my parts while I'm in Van (save on shipping) and went to a store that carried the parts so I could buy everything I wanted all in one swoop since I get to Van only a couple times a year.

Since I left no Credit card number and am pretty sure I made it clear I needed the parts that day I should not be held responsible. I'm positive they will be fair about the ordeal it seems we miscommunicated our agendas to each other and everything will solve itself...But I believe I'm not responsible...and so does the majority it seems.

By paying with Cash it doesn't seem they can really force me to pay outside of the legal realm. Which I'm sure they wouldn't take the situation that far.--

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
No they wont be able to make you pay it, but do you ever want to shop there again? Cause if you dont pay them they're gonna charge you a special rate :p every time you go there from now on.

$600 for a console? I paid less than that for a whole Jeep.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Being a proud Canadian, I thought I might fill you guys in on a little caveat we have here in Canada. Under the law (I can dig out the books if you like) you legally have 7 business days to back out of ANY legal contract you make. And pretty much every purchase you make is a small little legal contract. Now I don't recommend anyone go to a shop they dislike and screw it over by ordering $10k worth of parts, then saying 'no thanks'. But I've been in similar situations to copeland, and knowing this little tidbit has saved my wallet from collapse on a couple occassions. This also applies to 'sale items', and those little signs you see saying 'we will gladly exchange your item or credit you...' aren't worth the paper they're written on in this case. Also, you cannot be charged a restocking fee.
If you do need to do this, and the clerk says that's not their policy, then ask for a manager. The manager should have a clue. Remember, 7 business days. If the company has anything over that, it's gravy...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has been well over 7 days since the stuff was ordered. but I did not tell them to specifically order it for me. I left the store bought from another and forgot about them. I understand ignorance of the law is no excuse, but I'm standing by my story that I did not tell them to bring in the parts, if it comes down to it, I will tell them I refuse to pay. It would be lame to break what I would consider a fairly good relationship with the business, but there are other stores to buy from...I'll probably know by next week what there stance is. They might not even call back if they see things from my side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didn't mean to imply anyone was ignorant of the law. It's just that I've been saved from a few hefty invoices by knowing this. I'm sure in your case things will work out. Those items, while not hugely demanded, aren't some weird left handed Toyota plasma conduit relief valve that nobody will ever use...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damnit, where's that flux capacitor.--

1 - 10 of 10 Posts