BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Colorado.

I'm new to this board, but there seems to be a lot of folks here who can help me with my problem.

I drive a 92 YJ, 4 liter, AX-15 transmission.

I have replaced the clutch master cylinder and bled it about four times, just to make sure I got all the air out of it.

My problem is that the tranny is getting hard to shift, scratching through the gears.

There is no fluid leaking from the hydraulic clutch reservoir.

A buddy tells me that the only thing that can go wrong with the slave cylinder is that it would be leaking fluid. Do you agree with this?

If something else could be wrong with the slave, is there any troubleshooting I can do without removing the tranny from the bell housing?

If I must remove the tranny from the bell housing first, what troubleshooting may be done to determine a bad slave cylinder. For example, is there a range of movement for the slave cylinder shaft that engages the clutch?

Bottom line, I need to know if the problem is my clutch or do I need to rebuild the tranny?

Thanks
Dave.

·
Registered
722 Posts
On a 92, the internal slave cylinder is problematic, they all leak over the years, if your's is still stock from the factory, there's a good chance it's leaking. If you don't see any visible leaks from anywhere, it could be leaking inside where the slave is. It runs so hot in there the fluid will just evaporate. Keep an eye on the level in the reservoir, if it goes low and you don't see it leaking from the master or anywhere else, then it should be your slave. Mine did the same for a couple of weeks, the level will go down slowly and I'd top it up. But don't wait too long to replace the slave, I did and one night it just stop working and my pedal went to the floor. That wasn't fun.
If it's not your slave, how about the presure plate and throw out bearing, I think these will also cause your tranny to grind while you attempt to shift. My knowledge on clutch is very limited, I can only tell you about my own experience with my slave cylinder, mine is also a 92. May be some one who has more knwledge about clutches can give you a better idea.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If no loss of fluid is apparent, I may be inclined to check the fluid level in the tranny. Also your syncronizing rings may be on the up and out.

Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've become more convinced that the synchro rings are the problem. Closely watching the master cylinder reservoir and there's no leakage of fluid.

So, I'm going to reuild the AX-15 as a winter project.

I'm going to take the prudent route and replace the clutch slave cylinder while the bell housing is off. Does anyone know of an after-market company that sells a high quality slave cylinder?

Dave.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
black-diamond said:
Thanks Lars.

Just to let everyone know . . . you Canadians seem to have the best technical board anywhere, that I can find.
Thanks, Dave. If you want to give something back, please send me any details you think should be added re: swapping to an external slave cylinder.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the technical solution in the FAQ section may prove to be challenging. Here in Colorado, it's not that easy to find used bell housings and other parts needed.

However, I intend to make a valiant effort and I promise, I'll post the results.

I like my YJ, but I'm not impressed with the clutch design.

Dave.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts