BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k, how the hell do i get the hub off?
do I need to take the whole axle appart and disconnect it from the steering and suspension? how hard is it to change the boots on the joints?

89 4cyl 4runner

------------------
89 4runna - antenna mounted w/ zap straps
and twigs, speakers w/ masking tape, door
fell off when i drove it open into a tree

·
Registered
127 Posts
do you have a manual for your truck??
are you mechanicly incined?

------------------
**WANTED** used winch {any} and or a winch bumper for my 88 toyota pick-up
email - [email protected]

-Red 1988 short cab toyata v6 31's 3" lift
-white 1992 dr650s, cobra exaust, jetted, stripped down, 14/47 gearing, trackmaster II's

·
Registered
210 Posts
Whoa I'm doing the exact same thing with my CVs too, but its getting cold up here again and is not fun to work in. A haynes manual or equivalent is helpful but its still a pain in the ass to work on unless your four foot nothing and have tiny hands.....then it would be easy. You're talking about the hub body right? (Manual hubs i am assuming) If so when you take the wheel off there is six bolts holding it on, when you take the bolts off the hub body should come right off....don't forget a tapered punch to take the cone washers out. Definately find yourself a manual and a friend to help you, especially a knowledgable one.

------------------
Modifications? Lets see...... rear end drag from moose hunting, custom built canopy door, Pioneer deck with two, thats right two 6X9s, and bent bumper cowling from stupid wheeling move :) :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K, when you take off the hub bolts there are washers left over. they look like they are welded on to the body. I gotta take those off? how?

Originally posted by Ride:
Whoa I'm doing the exact same thing with my CVs too, but its getting cold up here again and is not fun to work in. A haynes manual or equivalent is helpful but its still a pain in the ass to work on unless your four foot nothing and have tiny hands.....then it would be easy. You're talking about the hub body right? (Manual hubs i am assuming) If so when you take the wheel off there is six bolts holding it on, when you take the bolts off the hub body should come right off....don't forget a tapered punch to take the cone washers out. Definately find yourself a manual and a friend to help you, especially a knowledgable one.

------------------
89 4runna - antenna mounted w/ zap straps
and twigs, speakers w/ masking tape, door
fell off when i drove it open into a tree

·
Registered
210 Posts
Those washers aren't welded on they are cone washers. When you look close at them you will see small gaps in them..... get a tapered puch and tap it in the slot until the washers pop out or loosen enough to pull off, then the hub will come right off.

------------------
Modifications? Lets see...... rear end drag from moose hunting, custom built canopy door, Pioneer deck with two, thats right two 6X9s, and bent bumper cowling from stupid wheeling move :) :)

·
1,269 Posts
We beat the crap out of mine with the good old BFH and they popped off.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would have done the same with mine but it would break worse just cuz thats what my truck does

------------------

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have done the driver side boot on my 4Runner. The trick seems to be raising and lowering the suspension. Sounds weird but I am sure you could pull out the physics books to explain it. Took a lot of wiggling and raising and lowering the axel with a jack. Out was the hardest, in seemed to go a little smoother. Turn and wiggle.. Maybe experience would have helped but for the life of me, I couldn't explain how it came our or went in. I just kept wiggling...

How's that for Tech Talk.

Cmdrdata

1 - 8 of 8 Posts