BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my tj and looking for a suspension kit, 31-35" tires and wheels. don't know if I should go with 2in or 4in lift kits. and idea? and how much it's going to cost me.
thanks, any help will be great.

------------------
Stock White TJ Sahara with lot's of useless lights, I hate to play in the dark.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing.

Your choice of suspension and tires all depends on the kind of 4x4ing you wanna do.
Of course your budget is a big factor as well.
Also you'll want to make sure you don't void your warranty as after market lifts and modifications can do.

Jason

------------------
1990 YJ, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 31" BFG's, 48" JackAll, nice shovel and soon to add warn 8274, sway bar disco's, and new thick rocker protection.
[email protected]

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can rule out 35s if you only want 2 or 4 inch kits. You need a body lift as well, or a 6 inch lift ( or incredibly wide rims) 33s are a great size tire for most all wheeling, but don't forget if you go much bigger than stock tires you should do gears as well! Check out your options at your local off road shop. Happy wheeling!!!

------------------
'90 4Runner
Solid axle conversion
More mods to come
"going around is NOT an option!"

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
For a TJ, I think a 3.5" lift and 33" tires is a great combination. When you start going taller, you might need the longer control arms to avoid some of the odd suspension geometry that results with lots of lift and the short, stock-length arms.

I don't know a lot about TJs but I think a modest spring spacer lift and some 32" tires for a year or two would let you evaluate the kind of 'wheeling you want to do for the next several years. It would let you get into a lot of challenging trails for a low cost.

Jonathan Yim's TJ ran exceptionally well with his Teraflex 3.5" lift and 32" tires.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lets say i really get a lift kit and new tires. do the warranty void on the suspension only or the who thing??????? the only thing that i worry most for the TJ is the tranny, transfer and engine and maybe eletrical stuff.

------------------
Stock White TJ Sahara with lot's of useless lights, I hate to play in the dark.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Yesterday I heard some scuttlebutt that Daimer/Chrysler is currently auditing its dealers so the local Jeep dealerships are taking a hard line against warrantying driveline-related stuff on lifted Jeeps.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only thing warranty will not cover is the damage that was caused by the suspension lift, other than that you will be covered, hopefully. Now for the suspension lift, you can start out with a 2" spring spacer, longer shocks, 1" body lift, and clear 32" tires. That's what I started with as a temp lift.

·
Registered
102 Posts
that's what they say...

cept when you take it in they say..."this was clearly damaged because you wheeled it"

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yesterday I heard some scuttlebutt that Daimer/Chrysler is currently auditing its dealers so the local Jeep dealerships are taking a hard line against warrantying driveline-related stuff on lifted Jeeps.
"Yeah.. Just becasuse we advertise it as the ultimate 4 wheel drive vehicle, doesn't mean you should be taking it offroading."

At least now they're backing up this attitutde with the vehicles they're releasing, like the IFS "liberty".
If they offered jeeps with dana 60's front and rear they wouldn't have to worry about warranty on those dana 35's!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a buddy who's rear diif got water in it and when he took it to the dealer they ask how water could have gotten in and he said he didn't know "puddle maybe", when they hoisted it up and saw the skid plates were all scratched and dented they told him it was abused and didn't warranty his rear end.

Hope this doesn't freak you out but it will save you $$$ in the end.

Jason

------------------
1990 YJ, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 31" BFG's, 48" JackAll, nice shovel and soon to add warn 8274, sway bar disco's, and new thick rocker protection.
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by RYJAY:
that's what they say...

cept when you take it in they say..."this was clearly damaged because you wheeled it"

Some dealerships are understanding take Mountainveiw for instance, I've taken my jeep there for warranty a few times and had no problems, even though my Jeep has 4.5" suspension, 1" body lift, short shaft kit, a locker at the time, dents and scrapes on the under carage, it didn't matter. They just fixed the damaged goods and washed my truck.
The service manager (Houtan)is an avid fourwheeler him self and is the son of the dealership owner. One of the best Jeep dealership I've dealt with.

·
Registered
102 Posts
yah...you get lucky sometimes

it's always good to know of a 4-wheel friendly dealer

even if the jeep wasn't purchased from that dealer it can be taken there for warranty work...it's a universal DC certified warranty

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of thinking. to lift or not to lift?

------------------
Stock White TJ with lot's of useless lights, I hate to play in the dark.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by BigRed:
Some dealerships are understanding take Mountainveiw for instance,
Unfortunately, this audit is affecting them as well. At least that's what I heard.

Snapped axle shafts are something that Mountview probably won't help you with, even if the vehicle is under warranty.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I don't have to worry about warranty now, it just ran out. HELLO 4:1, 2 low, and lockers all around. Good bye bank account.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Big Red you still have a bank account. LOL

I'll probably have to knock over a liquor to be able to afford a locker in the next while.
But on the brite side my wife started a new job hmmmmmmmmm.<pondering a thought>
She gets paid more hmmmmmmmmmm. <pondering some more>
Maybe a liquor store has been saved.
wow I'll ask her .

Jason
Just another joke
I don't rob liquor stores ...

------------------
[email protected]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah. don't know if I can wait that long. keep my warranty or lift kit. warranty or lift kit. btw. is what kind of tires can i fit with the skyjacker's 2 inch lift? anyone. they say 32's, and how about trailmaster's are they any good.

------------------

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
With the lift, since you will likely be just getting the 2" spacer, it really does not matter what mfgr you go with cause it is only a 2" piece of plastic.
31" tires work good. 32s should fit (265/75R16 since you have 16 inch wheels)
BFG has all their available sizes on their website www.bfgoodrich.com along with actual hight and widths and load ratings and such.

Just take care with that Dana 35C

Wes

[This message has been edited by Wes Rempel (edited July 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah. i'm gonna check out the junkyard soon.

------------------

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cycam when does your warranty run out?? Did you buy the extended warranty?? I didn't buy extended warranty knowing the fact that I can't wait that long for warranty to run out before I do major mods to the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts