BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the need to go places were I have never gone before, but my Jeep YJ, Sahara 1990 needs to be altered. Were do I start?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by Julie:
I have the need to go places were I have never gone before, but my Jeep YJ, Sahara 1990 needs to be altered. Were do I start?

First determine what kind of wheelin' you want to do (moderate or extreme), as well as how often. If you use your Jeep as a daily driver and just want to go off-roading once in a while I'd suggest a 2 1/2 suspension lift and larger (31") tires, as well as a cb radio with a good antenna to start. More info about your rig would be helpful too. Like is it a 4 or 6 cyl?
Welcome to the sport!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You don't need to alter that vehicle one bit to get started on the 1000s of kilometres of logging raods that will get you away from it all.
Don't let yourself get talked into spending money when you don't need to. Once you've been up a few logging roads and they are everywhere, and you have seen few side trails you might have liked to go on and realized you need a bigger tire or a lift, then you can start to think about it.

I have had a stock 4x4 Nissan for 10 years and it was second hand when I got it and I've been places some of the people on this list haven't even heard of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Krusty,
Thanks for the welcome. I'm assuming that I would have to start with moderate wheelin just because I am new and have allot to learn about the sport.I could see my self going at least once or maybee twice a month offroading. My Rig is a 6 cyl and I do use it to drive to work every day which is about an hr each way.
I live in Victria and I was wondering if you know of any good places or people to purchase and install any of your suggestions.
Julie
Originally posted by krusty:
Originally posted by Julie:

First determine what kind of wheelin' you want to do (moderate or extreme), as well as how often. If you use your Jeep as a daily driver and just want to go off-roading once in a while I'd suggest a 2 1/2 suspension lift and larger (31") tires, as well as a cb radio with a good antenna to start. More info about your rig would be helpful too. Like is it a 4 or 6 cyl?
Welcome to the sport!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Hublocker,
some good advice, thanks. Do you know of any logging roads around Victoria area to start on?
Julie
Originally posted by hublocker:
You don't need to alter that vehicle one bit to get started on the 1000s of kilometres of logging raods that will get you away from it all.
Don't let yourself get talked into spending money when you don't need to. Once you've been up a few logging roads and they are everywhere, and you have seen few side trails you might have liked to go on and realized you need a bigger tire or a lift, then you can start to think about it.

I have had a stock 4x4 Nissan for 10 years and it was second hand when I got it and I've been places some of the people on this list haven't even heard of.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't live on the island any more, but have you ever been up past Sooke to Port Renfrew and then up the what is it called? the San Juan river from there? I think there is a network of back roads there. If you can afford it, get the B.C. recreational atlas plus the Vancouver Island Backroads book, both of which should be available in any good book or map store.
That should get you started.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info on maps and back roads. I will check out the San Juan River.
Julie
Originally posted by hublocker:
I don't live on the island any more, but have you ever been up past Sooke to Port Renfrew and then up the what is it called? the San Juan river from there? I think there is a network of back roads there. If you can afford it, get the B.C. recreational atlas plus the Vancouver Island Backroads book, both of which should be available in any good book or map store.
That should get you started.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The first thing to consider is your tires. Not how big they are, but will they turn into slicks when you hit some mud or cut open on the first rock you hit.

A cheap way to get started is with a 1" body lift and 31x10.5" AT or MT tires. A siped set of MT tires would probably do you fine, since you probably aren't going to get a lot of snow anyway. General Grabber MT, BFG MT, or Goodyear MT/r are popular for street & trail use (least expensive to most expensive).

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
14 Posts
Julie:

Keep an eye out on www.island4x4.com. Most of the people on there are from Victoria and the South Island and can give you help with finding trails. Also keep an eye out for when they have trail runs.

Bobby

------------------
94 Ranger
29" tires
Just a 3.0 2WD for now.
Nice looking Herculiner bedliner.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When im bored and looking for a quick 4x4 fix, I check out the construction sites, where they have just recently cleared trees for building. but Im in surrey so theres lots of construction going on here.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Originally posted by Jeepasaurus:
When im bored and looking for a quick 4x4 fix, I check out the construction sites, where they have just recently cleared trees for building. but Im in surrey so theres lots of construction going on here.

....of course, he always gets the permission of the landowner to enter upon their property, and he treads lightly while on it. No sense in ruining the reputation of responsible 4-wheelers and muddying (pun intended) our image further by trespassing and tearing somebody's land up....

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Julie and welcome to the sport!
you should look at the webite http://www.island4x4.com good site...d by TOY CAPTAIN (edited September 12, 2001).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Julie,

Indeed, the first desire when one wants to get into this sport is:
"I need 6" of lift and 35"+ tires..." It's simply not the case.
Lots of fun can be had with a stock/near stock vehicle. I've had my Toyota for over 5 years, and didn't begin modifying it until about 2 years ago.

http://www.island4x4.com as well as this board are great places to get a start.
We often have stock vehicle runs, to which I usually will bring a BBQ and some food (IF I remember to bring the propane
)
We're (island4x4) not only limited to just wheeling trips either: camping, pub nights, BBQ's, movie nights....I guess you could say we are very social rock monkeys'.

If you absolutly feel the need to get started with making your truck a bit more capable:

1) ensure you have a LT (light truck) class of tire
2) front and rear recovery/tow points or hooks (I don't know Jeeps, and aint sure if they came with them stock)
3) should have a full sized spare tire (spare same size as the tires on the ground)

Disclaimer: we do not permit alcohol or drugs on the trail.

This will be enough for you to get out, have fun, and enjoy the outdoors.

See you on the trails!

------------------
Keith (aka RedApe)
82 Toy http://www.island4x4.com
Victoria BC

[This message has been edited by RedApe (edited September 14, 2001).]

·
Registered
344 Posts
i was just wondering which stores carry general grabber m\t and wild country m\t.. i heard both are fairly good in price...

allan

------------------
formally known as Stock Black YJ

G

·
Hey Julie, back to the subject of upgrading your rig... I'm still new to 4x4ing. been doin it for 6 months.. I have a stock explorer and find I can go alot of places my buddy with a 79 bronco with 33" tires and a 4" suspension lift can go. Naturally he can go further but stock 4x4s can go alot of places people "think" that they cant go. The only time i have a real hard time is in the mud. Hope this helps

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yep I was AMAZED at how far my little 4cyl yj was able to go. met a lot of people on that first run in sooke (redape, jojo, remy and afew others I can't remember) lots of info passed around, a few MINOR upgrades (or should I say removals) and she's still pretty much stock. ran stock with 30s (they fit great) until recently (four days ago) ... now 31s , 1/2" shackles, gettin 2" springs, tow hooks and that's about all that didn't come from the factory (course I did drop some of those factory bits, but you'll wanna wait to do that tho) Go on a few newbie runs and get a feel for your style and for your Jeep, THEN make decisions based on what you want or need to do wnat you are able.
OK steppin down off the podium now

[This message has been edited by Rockfrog (edited October 02, 2001).]

·
Registered
102 Posts
seeing as the island guys are all over this one i think i'll join in....

the first time i put my jeep in 4low i felt like i was driving a tank.
I wheeled stock for about 2 years
that caused a lot of things to get damamged due to my need to keep up with the big trucks

my jeep was (is) a budget build up.
it can be done inexpensively but you need to take great care it is done right.

I personally feel a person (when starting off) should learn how to manuever the rig they drive in thier stock for before they jump into anything too serious. There is much fun to be had in a stock rig and the more capable your rig is the more expensive the reprcussions of 4x4ing usually are.

know your limits
join a club and learn all you can
take it slow

A locker is not a 'fun' mod for a newbie because nothing changes esthetically about the jeep but it makes a vehicle much more capable...kinda like a wolf in sheep's clothing. If i could do it again that would be one of my first purchases.

RJ

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by RYJAY:

A locker is not a 'fun' mod for a newbie because nothing changes esthetically about the jeep but it makes a vehicle much more capable...kinda like a wolf in sheep's clothing. If i could do it again that would be one of my first purchases.

RJ
What do you mean a locker is not a fun mod? The locker was the second mod I did to my truck. The first mod was 31" tires. Tos are the only mods I have done. The locker makes a huge difference on the trail, and it is deffinately fun to have.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Jarett:
What do you mean a locker is not a fun mod
I think his point was that many newbies want to "dress up" their 4x4s and make them look tougher. Thus, lifts and bigger tires, and of course, "off-road lights," are some of the first purchases. Oh, and thick blue rope that they can wrap around their front bumper to indicate that they off-road a lot.

I've seen a lot of lifted trucks with big tires that perform like crap on the trail because the suspension hasn't been tuned (or it just sucks) and the tires are too stiff or over-inflated for the terrain and vehicle.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by lars:
I think his point was that many newbies want to "dress up" their 4x4s and make them look tougher. Thus, lifts and bigger tires, and of course, "off-road lights," are some of the first purchases. Oh, and thick blue rope that they can wrap around their front bumper to indicate that they off-road a lot.

I've seen a lot of lifted trucks with big tires that perform like crap on the trail because the suspension hasn't been tuned (or it just sucks) and the tires are too stiff or over-inflated for the terrain and vehicle.

...lars

My mistake

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

1 - 20 of 21 Posts