BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am looking for parts or help with how to install a 302 ford into a 1976 FJ40 to a stock 4 speed.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Did you check advanced adapters or Novak for an adapter?

Once you get that you should be good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried both companies. They do not adapt small block ford to toyota 4 spd only 3 spd.
Thanks for trying to help

·
Registered
870 Posts
Any reason that you want to stay with the toyota tranny? Why not chuck in a zf 5 spd with a np205 tcase? By the time you buy adapters you'll probably be a wash cost wise. A cross member is easy to make. I have an efi 5.0L with a zf and np205 in my Early Bronco and I love that transmission. Probably the best mod I did on the whole truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to stay with the stock trans and transfer case just because they are new. What trans and case make the best swap.Year, truck.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
870 Posts
You'll find a zf s542 in '88-'94 ford f250/350. http://classicbroncos.com/tech/zf-5-speed-manual-transmission-guide

NP-205 - (1973-1979, F100/F250 4x4). On F100s it was only offered as a 'married' setup. It was a 'divorced' setup on F250s through mid-'77 and then became 'married' up to '79. The NP-205 was a heavy-duty part-time, gear drive transfer case with a 1.96 low ratio (although another source reports 1.98:1 low ratio). It's smaller than the NP203 and about 40-50 pounds lighter. This is the choice of most hard-core off-roaders, due to it's strength.

I picked my zf up for $500 and $100 for the np205.

Heres one for $250 although the add doesn't specify bb or sb - http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/pts/3884217872.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice I called the guy with the trany and its two wheel drive, do you know if it can be converted to 4 wheel, also is divorced better or should i look for the other.

Thanks again I have decided to go with your advice

·
Registered
870 Posts
the 2wd zf can be converted although i would advise against it. Its to much of a pain in the ass to save $200. In case your interested here's the info - http://classicbroncos.com/ZF_Transmission_Swap.shtml

You're going to want to look for a married tcase. With how short your wheel base is you'll never fit a divorced setup. Also realize that diving into this is going to result in driveshaft modifications in terms of length/yokes etc. A zf is 29 1/4 inches long and an np205 12.5 inches. So factor that into your cost.

As far as tcase linkage goes, your going to half to do a little grinding on the tailshaft housing of the zf in order to clear the linkage of the np205. Then your either going to have to fab up some sort of shifter or you can go the twin stick route, I used these guys - http://www.jbfab.net/cgi-bin/miva?/...CTGY&Store_Code=JCFCS&Category_Code=FShifters. They were pretty much a bolt on for this application, I just needed to cut them down as they were way to tall in the cab. And they're stainless so i had to buy a roll of stainless for my mig.

If you can find one in a wrecker make sure you get the clutch slave cylinder and lines as well as the clutch master. These can be expensive at the parts store. To get really specific I would try and get your clutch master from a '94. There are two listed for the '94 model year, one of which the line exits 90 degrees down from the firewall. all the others exit straight out. Makes for an easier/cleaner custom install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey I really appreciate your advice. I found a guy who has a trans and transfer case from a diesel. Will that bolt up to 302 both are ford

·
Registered
870 Posts
Nope won't work. Need a small block specific zf.

And make sure its a zf and not an M5od. They look very similar and the m5od is a POS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok now you have me hooked on this swap. So if I get the 4X4 Trans and a married 405 with the twin stick shifters everything will line up with my toyota axles. I will have to fab some new drive shafts and a crossmember.I will run 302 clutch setup and throw out bearing off of new trans fork and slave cylinder. Any more advice or help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok now that I have started this process I am getting confused. It looks like I will have to change Diff to match what ever brand of Np205 I buy. left or right out puts. any ideas. I bought a ford ZF 5spd today.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm not much help with the toyota stuff. Just to toss it out there I think a chevy np205 drops to the opposite side as the ford. Not sure about bolt patterns or if that even helps you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts