BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a back-up in case anyone missed my post in general. My 1992 F150 (V8 5.0 5spd) is causing problems. Had the fuel filter changed no problem for a day and a half, now it runs fine in reverse and 1st gear but anytime I go into 2nd it starts bogging down and hopping and banging!!! Any ideas ??? I'm hoping it's the fuel pump and not the fuel injector! Anybody out there experience this or have any mechanical knowledge to tell me what to check. Much appreciated!!!

------------------
69 CJ5
92 F150

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by CJPaul:
This is a back-up in case anyone missed my post in general. My 1992 F150 (V8 5.0 5spd) is causing problems. Had the fuel filter changed no problem for a day and a half, now it runs fine in reverse and 1st gear but anytime I go into 2nd it starts bogging down and hopping and banging!!! Any ideas ??? I'm hoping it's the fuel pump and not the fuel injector! Anybody out there experience this or have any mechanical knowledge to tell me what to check. Much appreciated!!!
I would guess fuel pump/filter. make sure you have air flow, while you are at it. Load is much greater in second gear than 1 or R, so if its not getting enough fuel, it will bog and jump etc. do the filter again.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm actually going to run it over to Ford tomorrow for a diagnostic. They are close enough that I can drive it over there carefully, as they are less than 1km away. Do you really think it would be the fuel filter if it was just changed 2 days ago???

------------------
69 CJ5
92 F150

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks! I'm actually going to run it over to Ford tomorrow for a diagnostic. They are close enough that I can drive it over there carefully, as they are less than 1km away. Do you really think it would be the fuel filter if it was just changed 2 days ago???

It is highly possible that a throttle position sensor, mass air, or M.A.P. sensor went bad. Let us know.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by okezuki:

It is highly possible that a throttle position sensor, mass air, or M.A.P. sensor went bad. Let us know.
sounds like insufficient fuel under load... fuel pump and/or filter is my guess. TPS should not bother it much if you ease into it, and 92 is speed density not mass air, I think? maybe map tho...?

------------------

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, they ran a diagnostic and couldn't find anything so now they have to do an in-depth one tomorrow. At this point they are leaning towards the power control module. Anyone know anything about this??? Is it majorly costly??? Any info would be appreciated.

------------------
69 CJ5
92 F150

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it was the fuel pump and thermostat. I figured either the pump or injector, I'm glad it was the pump. Still is costly with the labour and taxes but could have been much worse.

------------------
69 CJ5
92 F150

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone think $900 is an excessive price for this job?

$75 for the diagnosis
Apparently $350 for the fuel pump
$35 for a wiring harness
$10 for the thermostat
Plus labour and taxes = $912

I think this is excessive as Lordco said something around the $200 for a fuel pump. Am I wrong here????

------------------
69 CJ5
92 F150

·
Registered
53 Posts
The pump sounds a bit pricey but the real question is why change the wire connector?and was the fuel pump OK and was it just the connector?I have had a problem with my buddy's truck similar to that and it was only the connector

------------------
79 Bronco 33"geerals, 4"coils,shackle reversal
wow!what a view from up here

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by mech3:
The pump sounds a bit pricey but the real question is why change the wire connector?and was the fuel pump OK and was it just the connector?I have had a problem with my buddy's truck similar to that and it was only the connector
I'd torch the truck before spending a grand on a fuel pump! thats insane! shop around, probably 150-200 for the part. You can't get out of paying for the diagnosis, but ~$400 labout for a fuel pump!! thats truly insane. in a proper shop it shouldn't take more than an hour maybe two if things go poorly. Check the connector first, you probably don't even need a pump. Dealerships are the worst for throwing expensive parts at a contact-cleaner problem. They could be 100% right, but I wouldn't bet my lunch on it!

------------------

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ouch 900 bones, well I can proudly say that ovwning a diesel in this case would be advantagoues. My fuel pump was designed for a logging truck cost me 200 bucks, ten year warranty and has a filter built in. You should be able to shave down the costs somewhere.

------------------
463,000 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, they finished the work. And yes, we definately needed the fuel pump. We honestly expected that anyways. All the noise we were having has stopped and the truck runs BETTER than when we bought it so it must have been slowly going for some time. I do know what you guys are saying about dealerships though, I usually avoid them at all costs but I am very pleased with the work. And I definately would rather spend $900 to fix it than get rid of it. It is a SWEET lookin' truck! It's now officially perfect! Thanks for all the suggestions though. And yes, the pump is pricey but I have a 1 year warranty as opposed to a 90 day warranty that I would get from Lordco or something like that. Not to sure about the amount of labour time as I know that the pump is in the gas tank so that may have been part of the reason along with they had to fix my e-brake (1/2 hour - they charge $89/hour labour flat rate - yikes!) Due to the high labour cost I would not go there again unless necessary. We have a real good, reasonably priced mechanic in Vancouver, but the way the truck was there was no way possible to drive it there so Dams was mighty close to our house. Anyways, my truck is now awesome again.

------------------
69 CJ5
92 F150

·
Registered
15 Posts

if you are still looking for help, im a mechanic at a ford dealership and if you drop by one night after the boss has gone home i can hook it up to the scope and try to figure it out.as for the high prices , dealer shop rates are about 90 bucks per hour and the pump is factory orig. part not a jobber part

------------------
1990 4runner

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Dennis but the work has been done. If I have any future problems I'll definately post again and keep you in mind. It's running awesome now so it should be tip-top for quite some time.

------------------
69 CJ5
92 F150

·
Registered
39 Posts
The second best part about owning a 4x4 is that almost everything can be removed or accessed from under the truck - tranny, t-case, fuel tank - without the use of a big hoist. I'm surprised that the pump was making noise for so long before it started to cause serious trouble. I also drive a E250 van and when my pump went south it was only a matter of about 5 km from noise to the most environmentally friendly van on the freeway. Thank god the tank was almost empty as it can hold 120 liters and must be removed to replace the pump. $175 for a carter from Lordco. A two hour job in my driveway.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good thing for you that you are mechanical Andy. I however, am not so unfortunately, that sometimes translates into big time $$$$. The truck is running great now

------------------
69 CJ5
92 F150

1 - 16 of 16 Posts