BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went up to Stave last weekend and while trying to pull a very stuck truck out of the mud, I blew my rad hose that goes from my engine to the rear heater of my truck. THe antifreeze was leaking right under the truck. So, I took off the little plate that protects it and found two very rusted and corroded metal pipes. No problem right? Well I called toyota (obviously strictly a specialty part), and they charge 200 bucks for two stupid metal pipes! My question is: Do you think it would be ok if I cut out the rusted pipes and replaced it with rubber? Keeping in mind that the pipes rest on top of my exhaust protected by a plate. Or is it really necessary to replace the entire assembly? Thanx

------------------
Black '85 4runner, 6" suspension lift and 35" mudders (my baby), and a great big fox head in my back window

·
Registered
223 Posts
Run heater hose the whole way back, and use lots of zap-straps to hold it away from your exhaust, or you can just buypass your rear heater if you like.

------------------
EAT BUSH

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's what I'm doing right now, but I like it working. Do you think I could just cut out the foot of rusted hose and attach rubber to it?

------------------
Black '85 4runner, 6" suspension lift and 35" mudders (my baby), and a great big fox head in my back window

·
Registered
416 Posts
Cuting out and replacing the rusted section would work.Also what dug sugessted would work or go to wreckers and find part in better shape.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

[This message has been edited by callan (edited March 08, 2002).]

G

·
That would work girlwithtruck, or you might want to try running hydraulic hose back there with the proper J.I.C fittings. Good hose is very heat resistant and will do a great job.

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

·
Registered
56 Posts
replacing with hose isn't a bad idea but I would probably go to a steel shop and get some new pipe (copper or steel) and replace the old crap with it not only for the heat resistance but also it is stronger than rubber and les likely to get torn from other debris you may encounter. only my $00.02

------------------
this is gonna take a whole lot 'o' flooring!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx a lot for the ideas. The part that needs to be replaced will be protected from the heat by a metal plate.
Thinking about time and money, i think replacing the foot long shiat would be better that taking it all apart.
As long as the rubber isn't going to melt or anything by the little amout of heat it will be getting, I think that's the better way to go?

------------------

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had the same problem with my old 4runner... I just got some copper pipe and made new lines... worked great!

------------------
Poguebilt Toys..... A new breed of Toyota Perfection.
1986 Toyota pickup solid axle conv. 5" susp. 3"body 36" tslsx siped, 5.29's, K&N
spool rear, detroit front, 5012's, 44044's, 4cyl bored, balanced, Doug thorley header, flowmaster muffler, OTT crossover steering , u-bolt flip F/R, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

·
1,269 Posts
Hey what did you do with the rest of the great big fox if you only have the head in your back window?
Going to a metal shop and getting a new piece cut would be a good idea, then throw some clamps in it and away you go.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lost the rest of the body in the mud somewhere.

------------------

·
Banned
3 Posts
whats up girlwithtruck theres nuttin better than a girl who likes pittin... so are u the girl of my dreams or what? wanna hook up an go 4x4in sometime??? i gotta "big truck" if ya know what i mean

HHH pitta

------------------
pittin aint easy!!!

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by Big Bad Pete:
Hey what did you do with the rest of the great big fox if you only have the head in your back window?
At least you could read it as "great big fox head"

my warped mind only lets read girlwithtruck's signature as ".....great...head..."

·
Registered
277 Posts
rmind?
Originally posted by pittin_4_life:
whats up girlwithtruck theres nuttin better than a girl who likes pittin... so are u the girl of my dreams or what? wanna hook up an go 4x4in sometime??? i gotta "big truck" if ya know what i mean

HHH pitta
dude this is not the place nor the way you talk to a woman did your mother not tell you that!!!!! Respect the women on this board please......I'm starting to take offense to these kind of post.. RESPECT IS WHERE IT'S AT

------------------
[email protected] Coquitlam Crawlers 4x4 club
81 toyo
not much but it's my toy
it's never let me down EVER or should I say until A Girls Toy drove it in!!
remember what we go in with we must come out with even if it is just parts !!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very cute guys!
I think we got just a little of topic. A computer is NOT the place for me to find true love. You gotta be out on the trails and really dirty!

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
Dirty like in grubby dirty? Or dirty like in DIIIIRTAAAAY?

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

im not telling

------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts