·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You don't have to read it, actually...

But it's posted here and on Island4x4.com:

An open letter to the BC 4x4 Community:

Hey all

As you may have read, my 1992 4Runner was recently stolen by professional thieves. Two weeks later, my truck was recovered by Vancouver Police, basically unharmed.

The guys who stole my truck knew what they were doing; they broke into a secured parking garage, cut through the door lock and the steering wheel, and disabled my nightswitch, before hotwiring the truck and driving it away. It’s a pretty safe bet that these guys were pros, with access to the resources to skillfully and promptly part out a 4x4 for its expensive aftermarket parts.

But, for some reason, they walked away from it after successfully stealing it. Sure, they got away with the stereo faceplate, and managed to bugger up the dashboard wiring quite a bit, but they left the CB, the High-Lift jack, the Hella lights, and even the license plates. Why? I won’t know, at least until the police match up the prints they lifted from the steering wheel and driver’s window.

The police deserve a certain amount of thanks for recovering my truck, but I’d like to think that all the publicity surrounding this theft had something to do with the real reason I have my truck back. Some of you went to the trouble of posting pictures of my truck on your websites, and many more of you kept at least one eye open for it, once you had heard it was stolen. Someone even used the equipment at his jobsite to help me distribute the surveillance video of the thieves.

That’s what being a community is all about. I needed your help, and you gave what you could. It’s likely that your reactions to my trouble were what made my truck ‘too hot to handle’ for whoever took it. It’s obvious that the guys who took it read these lists (at least the small words). They know the value of what they took, but they also learned, quite quickly, that they’d probably have more trouble unloading it than they thought.

So, thank you, fellow Wheelers. I hope I never have to repay the favour, and that you’ll all have your rigs long enough to roll them or submerge them the way you’d want them to die. But, if you ever discover your truck gone one morning, call on me to help! I’ll do what I can for you. These boards are an amazing resource. Support them, and keep looking out for eachother.

One little note: Assume the thieves are reading these lists. Be careful what you say about your rig, and about where you park it. If you’re going out of town without it, we don’t want to know! If you’re installing a new Marlin dual case, or even a new set of plug wires, we don’t want to know! If you have a broken door handle, we don’t want to know! If you keep Spanish Dubloons in the centre console, we don’t want to know! Basically, don’t say anything here you don’t want a criminal to know about you, your family, or your truck. If you post pics, black out your plate numbers and/or your house numbers.

Thanks again, everybody!

PS--pager-alarm goes in on Friday!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Great post, I truly think the publicity and general awareness of your situation scared the crap out of these dumbasses. Glad to here a decent ending to what could of have been a lot worse.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Yuppy, I went by the Van Police impound yard to see what kind of shape your truck was in, it wasn't there so I couldn't see it but I'm really glad to hear that it's in good shape.

On another note as far as these boards being cased by the criminal element. I think it's very possible that this is occuring but I don't think it's very likely that many people are being singled out via this method. Modified 4x4's are very distinctive and easy to notice, you are from Van Island yet your truck was stolen in Vancouver, quite a bit of dedication from someone to be following you from the island imho. I think a more likely scenario is that someone saw you driving around that had a 4Runner on his "to steal and deliver" list. They saw you and either followed you or saw you driving into the underground. I think a lot of these guys have standing orders for certain vehicles, someone wanted a 4Runner and then backed out. Maybe they pulled a few B&E's with your truck and then dumped it, there's no way to figure out drug addicts.

However I agree with you that everyone on here should take precautions against divulging too much info on the board because anyone could be looking.

·
Registered
595 Posts
glad to hear your truck was found and still in good shape;)

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Well if there are THIEVES casing our trucks via this board I'd just like to say this...

I am NEVER more than 500 feet from my Jeep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts