BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright here is the deal.

I bought the truck. I picked it up for $1000 (well, will be paying tonight) The truck is stock, there might be a small body lift but not to sure, the tire are 28" with almost full tread, the box has minor surface seam rust, and a spot or two in the bed. There is a bed liner and it had a canopy on that I think saved it, I looked the frame over and there is like no rust. Maybe some surface rust here and there but not much. The interior is perfect exept for a rip on the drivers door. It has cruise and air, sunroof and extra cab. The front end looks like it had been driven between two trees, fenders squished, it is a light grey so my stuff wouldn't go to well. As for the engine, the head has a chip blown out of it, but I was talking to a mechanic and he was saying that the block is probaly o.k. and all I would need to do is slap a new head on and it should be fine, so it looks that I can get a head for about $100 and the two frontfenders for $50 (pair) I would have to paint them, but spray paint would be a temporery fix. A mechanic said that it would cost me about $450 to swap in my engine. So it looks that if I put another $1000 (inc. other minor parts) I would have a pretty decent truk.

Oh and then I would have an '85 22re solid front extra cab sunroof, rear sliding window, with new brakes and a fixed frame for sale?

------------------
Hey! If it's broke put more money into it, it may not have worked last time, but it should now!

·
1,269 Posts
Let me get this straight, you're going to sell your '85 to get an '88?

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup!!!!

------------------
Hey! If it's broke put more money into it, it may not have worked last time, but it should now!

·
1,269 Posts
Not a fan of the solid front axle?

------------------

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you are going to be doing any wheeling at all then you shouldent be driving a toyota any newer then 85(unless it has had SAS) cause then you have IFS instead of solid front which would be a horrible decison on your part. Ask anyone who has had IFS and they will tell you some bad stories. If you 4x4 with IFS then you will always have breakage and problems.
All IFS is good for is on-road driving and desert-and last time I checked there were not many deserts in B.C.
It is your own choice of course but I urge you to keep the 85 and at least do a solid axle swap with it.
Brett

------------------
85 Yota- 33 inch Thornbirds,3 inch trailmaster susp lift, smittybuilt bush bar,roll bar,8 offroad lights,insane pioneer stereo with 2 JL-10 inch subs in custom box,K&N air,new engine and of course a good'ol CB radio
-TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE RAISED NOT LOWERED-

[This message has been edited by TOY CAPTAIN (edited January 15, 2002).]

·
Registered
277 Posts
hey where can you get front fender for $50. buck for the pair I've been looking for front fenders for my 81 and I got quotes for 100 to 110 per
please let me know as i need fenders
thanks
sean

------------------
[email protected]
81 toyo
not much but it's my toy
it's never let me down EVER or should i say until my wife drove in!!
remember what we go in with we must come out with even if it is just parts !!

·
1,269 Posts
I think we're forgetting that some people might only want to do the milder trail runs and logging roads where IFS would be reliable and comfy.

------------------

G

·
Toy Captain: I couldnt disagree with you more. Not everyone is into the hardcore wheeling that demands a solid front axle. I will admit that the IFS is way more complicated and prone to breakage when abused, but isnt any axle system? Altho my Toy is a new to me 88, I havent come across a situation yet that demanded that I have a solid axle up front. Also, I havent had any front end problems at all.

Dan: Sounds like a fine deal. I paid way more for my 88 than 2 grand and have been nothing but pleased with it. Depending on your wheeling habits, I am sure you will be happy too!

[This message has been edited by NewToyo (edited January 16, 2002).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.k. here is the plan:

I like the ifs because it is a smoother ride, and if you look at BigBadPete's comment, then you might understand, seeing as I am new to this 4x world, I think that the ifs is a great truck to find my groove in. If I happen to get to the point that I think a solid front would take to the next level, then by that time I would imagine that my funds would be inorder to either a) get a weekend warrior, or b) do the swap. The idea is that this truck is really clean, which means less problems. Besides I find that I like to go with some speed on logging roads and the solid is just a little bit rough for that.

Off topic this is what I decided to do with the '88, rebuild the engine. I can get some pretty good deals at lordco for all the parts and know some mechanics that do all the work and get it on the road ( I live in a apartment and my friends don't want me around their shops anymore!
) But the engine will be boredout and stroked and a 4x4 cam will be put in. I like the 22re I don't want to change it over, I just want ot help it along a little.

Any way let me know what y'all think.

------------------

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dan-Iam just saying that once you get onto the trail you will probley relise how awesome 4x4ing is and that there are some places that IFS will not take you either do to breakage or the fact that it dosen't flex at all.Also if you want any lift on the 88 then you will have to put out a lot of money. I go exploring on logging roads all the time with buddy's who have IFS and I have no problem keeping up and we do go fast.The rough ride with solid front is not bad at all-If I was worried about a smoother ride I would buy a luxury car and not a truck.
I was just trying to give you some ideas of IFS and some options so you did not go wasting money and time.
Just to let you know-I bought my truck just over a year ago with only 31's and I could never understand why guys did so much crazy stuff to there rigs until I got out on some trails-Now I can not even go a week without wheeling before Iam going crazy. Also my truck is my daily driver-I use it for work and highway driving to go skiing and camping.
As I said in my last post-It is your own choice of course but Iam just trying to give you some warning.
Brett

------------------
85 Yota- 33 inch Thornbirds,3 inch trailmaster susp lift, smittybuilt bush bar,roll bar,8 offroad lights,insane pioneer stereo with 2 JL-10 inch subs in custom box,K&N air,new engine and of course a good'ol CB radio

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Easy there Toy Captian, I am not insulted or anything it's all good humer here, I have read all the stuff you guys have already discused on the topic of ifs vs solid, and made my disidion on the premise that you have the kind of truck for the off roading that you plan on doing. And I completly agree that I will love off roading, and eventually want something dofferent, but for right now I think this is great. by the way I have to say that I appreciate how everyone on here seems to have the same goal, everyone seems to look out for eachother and have an almost heart felt desire to make sure the others get the most fun for their buck.

p.s. I thought toyota's were luxury vehicals

------------------

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dan no worries,I was in no way upset or frustrated- just trying to give a fellow toy owner a heads up.
By the way-so if you are selling your 85 then how much? A buddy of mine is looking for a truck or 4runner but he wants it pre 86 so he can have solid front. What needs to be done to it? Plaese give me some details and we can go from there.
Thanks Brett

NewToyo-I thought dan would be doing some offroading that would require 4low and the flexing out of his suspension. If you havent had problems yet you will-just wait.

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
My IFS stood up to much abuse without a problem, even wheeled it for a few months sans cv boots

------------------

·
Registered
108 Posts
But Pete you were just waiting to do a SAS-were you not?-it would be different if you were actually trying to maintain the IFS and keep it in good working order. Well from what I have seen and heard IFS can break at any given time and cause tons of problems.
Whatever as long as everyone is happy with what they have on their rig then thats fine- "different strokes for different folks"
Brett

------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
Way to go Dan!

So just to recap, you're going to have an 88 toyota in good shape for $2000?

85 sells for $3500? Your $1500 ahead.

I'd say thats one heck of a great deal.

·
Registered
387 Posts
dan i just thought i would throuhg this idea out there. have your 88 as a daily driver, keep your 85 as a bush beater. as you get funds slowly biuld up your 85 and you will still have a very nice 88 for your daily drive? now i'm going to add my two bits worth on ifs. i'm a happy ifs owner i have had ifs for 3 yrs, (in an 86 runner.) never had a think go wrong with the front end! i bag on my runner HARD. i have a buddy has as myself and happy as can be. i will agree solids are the cats a#$ when it come to extreme off roading. ifs is for the somther ride but so far it has be faithful to me and my buddy 6yrs combined!
for extreme wheels=solid front axle
for entry and intermediate wheels=ifs or solid

·
Registered
104 Posts
whoa there danny boy, half the people on this board are looking for pre-'86 Toy's 'cause of the solid front. I know your probably sick of hearing this but dude, IFS is no way to go! I own it, I hate it, Everybody who has it would love to get rid of it! You'll see the light someday, and for motovation just print Big bad pete's "prevent IFS" picture and get it blown up poster size and stick it on your door. just a thought.

------------------
91' Yoti with the Son of the Devil screaming and cursing at you from behind the wheel!

·
1,269 Posts
When I first bought the truck I didn't even know the difference between IFS and a live axle, so I wheeled it as it was and it worked great for about 75% of the stuff I wanted to do. The other 25% is definetly not everyone's bag.

------------------

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man the idea of keeping the '85 as the weekend warior is pretty tempting, but all I have to do is look at my bank account to to kick that temptation in the croch

To recap. I put the '85 in the buy and sell for $5300 obo(easy there, read on first!) reason being that I put $2000 into it to get it on the road. The frame is now solid and undercoated where the work was done and rest of the rear underside shouldn't give you any problems for a long time, the brakes are new calipers, roters and pads, new shoes for the rear and new outer seals for the axles, the inside is clean and considering everythin was black when I got it,
I would say stinkin' clean, I meen that you can read the sr5 writing on the seats were you couldn't before. The engine is sound and I don't remember what else, all I know is that I got receapts to prove it all. It would come with a winch bumper, nerf bars, 22re, and solid front.

As for the '88, it will end up costing me about $3300-$3500 (not bad for a $6000 truck)the engine is a rebuild that is bored over and has the rv cam. Engine and install $2300-$2500 with a one year warrenty. I am trusting that I got a good deal, but had little time in which to do my shopping around. It has been a hectic few days.

On a side note, I have to give thanks to me wife as she has kept negative remarks away as I blundered through with the first truck. Yet she loves idea of the second truck, I just don't get it some times

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dan Leusca (edited January 17, 2002).]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts