BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from looking at another project FJ40.
It's a 68 with a 71 engine, really rusty, rolled a couple of times, glass broken ect.
It ran ,but not great, no gauges worked though. All the hydraulics are shot, no breaks or clutch, and rotten tires. Not a piece of it doesn't need attention.
And it's been painted with a brush over the rust. Windshield frame crushed.
It comes with a totally thrashed parts truck,no engine , tranny or transfer, but tons of rust !!
Anyway the seller wants $2200 for both !!
Neither has been registered and will have to pass vehicle inspection.
I asked him if he was negotiable but he said he's sure their worth $2200 and is not open to offers.
Am I wrong for thinking these rotten examples are only worth maybe $800-$1100 tops????
Or is this guy out of touch with reality?
I didn't bother to make an offer thinking I'd only insult him.
But I'm not paying $2200 for this junk.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
1,269 Posts
The only thing I'd give him for those is a swift kick in the ass!

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My friend just baught a 71 Fj40 and he paid $1500 and the thing doesen't run but was never rolled and came with $500 worth of new front fenders, sound like he wants too much.

------------------
sold 85 extra cab 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
By the sounds of it Id give him 500 MAX!!! sorry dude

------------------
jeeps are for girls...
....cute ones!!
79 FJ cocked,locked and ready to unload!!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the prices on the parts Dan. But it's looking like this winter project isn't going to happen.
I may go offer him $1200 in a couple of days, but I'm sure that's to much and he won't take it anyway.
Believe it or not he had them advertised at $3800 last winter,needless to say he had no takers.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
396 Posts
WAY TOO MUCH!

I looked at a running (non-inspected) 71 this summer, it came with a working hydraulic snowplow (meyers) and the guy wanted $1000. I did not buy it but it was worth it for the plow alone, the truck was not insurable (SP??).

I have a buddy that paid 5k for an 84 that is in stock form but in pretty good shape.

Sounds like the guy is asking about 4X as much as they are worth, keep looking.

HTH

WW

------------------
1983 CJ5, 8274, 3" lift, 235/85R/16,OBA
1984 Chev 3/4 ton 4WD
1999 Dodge Dakota 4WD The dragon's truck!
VW rail buggy

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, you guys are right, way to much.
I don't think I'll even offer the $1200, that's to much money.
He'd probably get mad at that offer anyway.
Why would someone rather let these trucks rust to nothing than sell them?
I just don't understand some people's reasoning.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
That's just insane! Offer the $500 and walk away...go back in a couple months and make the offer again. If anyone pays the $2200 for it, they deserve the hunk of metal.

Good choice looking for a Land Cruiser though! Gotta love the beasts.

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm probably nuts for doing this but.....I think I'll make an offer in the 1000 range.
Thats less than half of what he's asking.
I'll leave my number and if he wants , he can call me back.
That's if he doesn't chase me off his property !!

------------------

·
Registered
354 Posts
Not worth it AT ALL! I Paid Between 1-2 grand for my cruiser... and I know I got a good deal. For reference it came with the following:

My 1980 Cruiser
disk Front End
alu. tub w/ minimal rust on the rest of it
Six Point cage
33 bfg ats
new front end parts
new starter/alt/water pump
near new exaust
new front and rear bumpers
soft doors and bikini top/h-top
civic seats
+ lots more.

I goes to show you that there are crazy deals out there! Please keep looking, don't waste your $$$.

------------------
1980 Toyota Landcruiser. Alu tub w/ 6 pt. roll cage, 3 Inch pro comp lift with longer shackles, orange shocks,
killer $40 paint job.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ryan, sound like you got a great deal.
I'm not going to make a low ball offer, this would insult the seller and I really want a 2F with a 4 speed anyway. Disc's would be nice too.
I think these people look on e-bay and see how much a mint cruiser is selling for and price their junk accordingly.
Now that I've had time to think about it and the exitement of another winter project has faded, you are right, it's a crappy deal.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
If its rolled the axles might be bent.

------------------
jeeps are for girls...
....cute ones!!
79 FJ cocked,locked and ready to unload!!!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
look in the buy and sell they always have cruisers for under $1500

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!

[This message has been edited by pitter (edited December 26, 2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a '73 FJ40. 2F motor w/new rings and bearings. 70% BFG A/T's, re-cored rad 3 years ago, new rear leafs 3 years ago. No Rust on body. Everything is pretty much original. $3700 obo. I have pictures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts