BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions here.

A lot of people are looking to upgrade their alternators for more output power either for winches or stereo`s etc.

Thought about coming up with a kit or something to do this. I wonder why no one has tried to do it before?

A simple GM Delco 12si or 15si would work wonders for my little 22re.

Maybe someone already has a kit or plans out there? Think maybe we could talk someone into producing this?

------------------
TOY`s Phoenix Gold Car Audio webpage

·
Registered
376 Posts
Originally posted by Toyrantula:
I was thinking external regulator, so as to be able to adjust your voltage and be able to buy pre-made brackets for the 22r or 22re motors.

I know the V6 Toy motor can use the MR2 alt already with minor change to the post on the alt.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/100alt/index.html

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Somebody tell me a chevy alternator part number and give me details on how to hook it up in my 85 4runner and I can easily fab some brackets and send a bracket (and belt number) to you in exchange for the electrical know how.

If you don't know for sure then don't try telling me how cause I don't want to risk my electrical system.

I rebuilt my alt every trip out last summer in my 82. I play in the alberta mud and it kills toy alts in no time.

As it is right now I run my toy alt on the upper passenger side instead of down low on drivers side. I made a bracket that raises the alt about 8 inches over factory location. But I would rather run a chevy alt.

------------------
Real men build 'em, rich men buy 'em!!!
'82 short box, 7" lift, 36" TSL's, 5.29 gears and it's locked, cocked and ready to bog.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats pretty much the same thing I am after.

What I want to do is keep a pair of the smaller Delco alts on the passenger side of the block and keep them seperate from the stock charging system.

I want to keep the stock alt. for running the truck only and the other alt(s) for charging a pair of cat size batteries for stereo competition.

Even thought about using an onboard air setup to fill a larger air tank, and use that tank to spin an air starter out of a semi truck fuel tanker.

That would in turn, chain drive as many alts as I want (located in the box).

All the stereo competition rules say is the electrical system must be powered by the original engine.

So I found a loop hole in the rules for the 2002 competition scene that they can not close for a year.

------------------
TOY`s Phoenix Gold Car Audio webpage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts