BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got a HOIST-A-TOP? is it good. or is it better to make one? tired of buying beers for my buddy just to get them to help.
any one made one themselfs?

------------------
Stock White TJ with a scratch up bottom

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
What exactly is a hoist a top?

I'm guessing just something to help lift a hardtop off by yourself?

If you're having problems with stuff like that do the 'convenient' thing. Call some buds up to watch the game or some other appealing thing and pop the question "Hey, before you go, wanna help me pop the top off my jeep?"

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport
(I don't know anything, don't listen to my advice)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Building your own would be best, if you can, mount a pulley(rated for the weight of your hard top) on the ceiling of your car port. Use some steel cable, and then anchor the top for the summer.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 33X12.5 tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
109 Posts
hey I just finished making my own and its cheap and better than the ones you can buy! it cost me less than the $80.00+tax Gemini is asking for the rope pully junk. Mine is made from some steel pipe $10.00, 2 double pullies $20.00,1 single pully $10.00, stainless aircraft cable 40'at $15.00, and a hand winch $20.00. Works awsome and I could lift 250 lbs easy with it, used 3.5" lag bolts to secure it to the ceiling ($5.00 worth). It also fits closer to the ceiling (5") than the ones you buy

------------------
89 yj major cash pit

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey yuhave . do you have a pic of your hoist? just want an idea of how to bulid one.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cykam (edited February 25, 2002).]

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have no way of getting pics posted but
check this sight out http://www.topcaplift.com/tcjeep.htm
its similar to this one but the winch is mounted to the wall and there is only one pully on the lift frame and two atached to the ceiling and 3 tie downs.

------------------
89 yj major cash pit

[This message has been edited by yuhave bigJeep (edited February 25, 2002).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys. i'll got down to "crap tires" to have a look. don't want to waste the sunshine

------------------

·
Registered
109 Posts
you won't find a hell of a lot there cause I looked there before i made mine and i found squat!!! They only have the tie downs, and their over priced!! plus that tie down idea is not the safest way especialy if you park your jeep under it! I thought about it but chose to do it the way I did (way better, safer and easier).

just my two bits

------------------
89 yj major cash pit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.