BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has welded the spider gears on a samurai diffy? Do you suggest it or not. I welded my buddies 10 bolt and it worked great but I was wondering how difficult it would be to do it on a sammy diffy?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got mine done and I LOVE it!! It takes a few days to get use to the chattering and sqwaking while cornering and WHAT a difference off road!! I haven't noticed the premature tire wear that everyone warned me about either, and I think it's due to the fact that Zuk's are so light (IMHO) Definately an asset.
HTH
CRS

------------------
Farewell and Adieu, to you fair Spanish ladies...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had mine done and it was great until it blew appart on the trail. A friend did it for me and didn't do a very good job. Make sure it's done right and you will like it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Earnie, if you want to take your diff apart to weld, do it.
Then bring it over and I'll set it back up for you.
You can also weld it here if you want to lower yourself to use one of my arc welders.
But I think you want to use the Gov't mig that your dad borrows.
Anyway, give me a call if you need any help.
We finished Jon's front diff last night.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I stand corrected.
BTW I'll be needing some help from you and Jon before long.
It's time to see how strong you boys are,
Lets see.....sm420+ t-case=broken spine.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Weld it good and its reliable , ive welded lots of them and reliability is 100%. But i am a welder for a living. Use the mig for sure. And dont do it yourself if ur just a so-so welder, have someone who KNOWS HOW TO WELD do it for you, quik job

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to know if the stock sammy axles will hold up. I like to abuse my machine and I don't like to be stranded. Also, I am a university student and don't have a hell of alot money laying around for lockers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by earnie:
I would like to know if the stock sammy axles will hold up. I like to abuse my machine and I don't like to be stranded. Also, I am a university student and don't have a hell of alot money laying around for lockers.

Depends... In mud and other loose surfaces you will have a lot less chance of breaking and axle than in high traction surfaces. Beware of backing up and turning if your weldign the front end! I've done welded front and rear before, never had any probs with the rear, but the front popped two birfields then I put in some birfield rings and have since sheared one front axle. This was a sidekick rear end though, so that could be why I hadn't had any problems other than tire wear and body roll.

Hope that helps,

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick

·
Registered
392 Posts
Kicker, what size and type of tire are u running? You are right about what u say but there are variations here. How much does a Kick way compared to a Sami ??? A bunch more weight plus bigger buns plus locked front end = obvious breakage. I run 31's and ive pounded my Zook as hard as it could be pounded short of killing it.And ive had it 5 yrs. And yes we have rock in ontario.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do alot of mudbogging in my sammy because I live in Saskatchewan but I also do some rock crawling and other stuff when I am around that terrain. Would a locker be not as hard on the crush sleeve? Also would there be less body roll when turning with a locker?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll let u guys in on an ontario zuki tip, alot of us down here cap off the inside of the carrier axle holes and melt down used lead wheel wieghts fill the dif with it and let cool, better then welding, will never come loose and in an extreme case if it does break loose the lead is soft enough not to do too much immediate harm

------------------
My british smile is due
to the fact that i eat
rocks 4 dinner!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by MuddMachine:
Kicker, what size and type of tire are u running? You are right about what u say but there are variations here. How much does a Kick way compared to a Sami ??? A bunch more weight plus bigger buns plus locked front end = obvious breakage. I run 31's and ive pounded my Zook as hard as it could be pounded short of killing it.And ive had it 5 yrs. And yes we have rock in ontario.
I'm running 31's with a completely stock motor. The body lean I mentioned is due to the rear linkage wanting to uncompress ont he outside wheel, only apparent at low speeds. I think with the leaf sprung sami it would not do that.
Mine weights in at 2850 with gear and me in it, so yes it is heavier. What killed the first axleshaft was the trip to Moab, even with leaving only one hub locked the whole time it was a lot of stress on that side. The other time here was actually at stave lake on a side trail backing up about a 60pecent grade. :p
Other than that it's held up to a lot of abuse, just make sure you have spare axleshafts with you in the rig and no probs!

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick (kinda a sami front end, four link front, three link rear, 31's, open diffed right now at both ends until I can make a real locker)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Earnie if you plan on using that melted lead thing let me know.
I can tell you about all the toxicology tests and liver biopsies you'll be needing.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts