BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3" Procomp explorer lift in my '97 xj. Its brand new...only 5 months old...what used to be good enough is not anymore...I want another 1 or 1.5 inches...

My question is can I get that without having to replace my whole suspension again? I spent quite a bit of money on the Procomp system and I'm not ready to spend that much again...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It all depends how much lift you want. You can get away with a 3/4 or an inch of boost by adding coil spacers and a lift block, however you cannot expect much more since a lot of components such as radius arms, steering arms and other very important pieces may not work anymore. (or they will at first, but wear out real fast).
Now, I don't know XJ's suspension very well and also am not familiar with your Pro Comp system. Chances are this lift may already be maxing out your driveline angles as well as steering, so even 1 inch may be too much. I don't know. There may be guys here on the board that are much more familiar with your particular setup and can tell you their experiance, if not go see a pro. They will definetly be able to help ya.

·
Registered
708 Posts
go for a small body lift maybe?

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can get a budget boost, either from rustys or teraflex. Which will go on top of your suspension lift. You won't really have to worry too much about your steering or control arms, they should be fine. What you will have to address is your drivelines. You'll either have to drop the t-case or get a SYE. A SYE is much more beneficial in the long run, but the drop is cheaper.

XJ's are unibody, so no body lift.

Jordan

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
XJman said:
XJ's are unibody, so no body lift.
Jordan
That's true, however, if you are not afraid to use a bit of a zip cut wheel you could do some fender trimming which will open up a bit of room for a bigger tire. Tires give you the real lift, as they increase clearance where it matters most: under your diffs. You will also keep relatively low center of gravity this way and it's cheap. Hey, half of the Scandinavians can't be wrong...
:mullet

·
Registered
319 Posts
your cherokee's got unibody so no body lift is possible. i'm getting a 86 wagoneer and the pros siad 3" max then my radius arms and steering arms are gone and you will proboly need a new driveshaft with new yoke if you go any bigger, but go talk to a pro befor you decide anything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm in the same situation you are, put in my 3" and want to go higher, going to add maybe an inch this winter, you probably already have a tcase drop of an inch right? You'll need longer LCA's, which Ive got already, but some people still use stock CA's at 4". But most importantly I think you and I both need a SYE. Im saving and shopping around for one, they are expensive and they seem hard to find for the 242 which I have. Good luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My final decision

I've decided to stick with my 3" lift and put in 31 BFG ATs. I thought I would rather spend the money on differential guards and rockers in the future. Thanks for all the input people! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts