BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKEE... FUNNY SOUNDS coming from the rear of my brakes... drum brakes all around... 78 bronco... in plain english, how do I check the wear on my brakes??... supposed to still have a lot left, but I have no clue on what to look for... thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you have to ask, perhaps you should just drive to Canadian Tire and drop it off. Brakes are VERY important.

Otherwise, buy a Haynes manual.

Or pull the tires on each corner, poke your head around, check shoe wear, drum springs in place, drum wear, brake lines and brake fluid, etc.

Good Luck

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer
Chrome grill guard and some other mods...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ya if I were you I would just take it to Canadian Tire its free and if they say theres something wrong with them then take it to someone else.

------------------
86 F150 4x4 302 Winter fun
84 F150 XLT 351W Summer Fling

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Well you could just pull off the tire, drum, and have a look...it is a semi floating rear end so the drums come off. If you can't get the drums off there is the possibility that there is a ridge on the inner edge (center of vehicle side) and the slack adjuster wont allow the shoes to back off enough, the shoes are stuck up inside this rigde...maybe a little prying and proding or persausion with a hammer will allow it to come off. I wouldn't take it to CT because they will tell you that they are shot, same as midas for that matter.

I will be ordering all the brake parts for my truck if you want to go in with me on a group by we can work this out...I get everything for %5 above cost from my buddy at a brake supplier! New drums, spring kit, wheel cylinders, brake lines, shoes...etc, etc. I will be doing the front aswell!

Let me know if you are interested! If you were in Surrey I would be willing to give you a hand but Vancouver is quite a drive!

Matt

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by desteurm (edited March 05, 2002).]

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Does this mean you are not selling this beast? Dont get a toyota, parts are expensive!

------------------
Shopping List...
15"x8" wheels 5x5.5" BCD
[email protected]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice guys... yes, I do have a Haynes... actually two of them, one old brown one and one I purchased just this year... Actually I am really not that mechanically incompetent , just like to err on the side of caution that's all... it has been some time since I have driven a vehicle with drums, just not too sure how "well" an older truck is supposed to stop... I may not be used to the excess play in the steering... I used to do some of my own work on my vehicle, have changed all the discs on my older VOLVO...

Matt: thanks for the tip,... shhhhhh... I am trying the "buying new shoes, being forced to return,... but somewhat forgeting to return routine..." She is starting to see the benefit of having an extra vehicle, although I do admit it is a little difficult justifying the added expense... She is seeing how it is helpful in trucking building supplies for our house reno project though... Thanks for the offer re: buying brakes, maybe when I am actually committed to keeping the vehicle will I decide to replace everything... When approximately will you be doing your brakes? Maybe if I still have the truck then I'll come out when you are doing yours to get some tips and lend you a hand... From his receipts... the brakes were... DOH!! LMFAO!!... SORRY GUYS... THE FRONTS ARE DISCS!! THE DRUMS ARE IN THE REAR!!... JUST LOOKING AT THE RECEIPTS... hey Matt what kinda brakes did the 78' Bronco come with anyhow? I thought they were ALL DRUMS... SHEESH... really shows you how little time I have spent with the truck... all that nagging has made me park the truck and forgotten to even check the brakes... Was a conversion done on the fronts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts