BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 87 toyota pickup with 33's. i find it to be very gutless on hills and accelerating. im wondering how to put more power into it without it costing a fortune. ive considered a cam, new headers, and exaust but how much money am i looking at?? is there anything else i should consider? please leave some suggestions, i would really appreciate it. thanks.

------------------
-Ryan

·
Registered
802 Posts
None of those performance mods will do as much for you as changing your gears to 4.88 or 5.29. Or, you can go back to stock-size tires. While you are changing the gears, take the opportunity to throw lockers in there as well. Won't be cheap, but at least you won't be re-doing everything like you would be if you did gears first and lockers later.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the same problem when i had my 86 toy and i changed my gears to 5:29, and problem cured but when it came to the longer weekend trips and the highway i wish i didn't have those 5:29. It's a win, lose situation you have to take away something to gain something or the other way around. It all depends on what you use your truck the most for and what is comfortable.

------------------
Treading Heavily

·
1,269 Posts
As Greg said, re-gearing is definetly the way to go. You're going to end up spending the same amount of cash on headers, cams, etc. trying to get more power out of your motor anyways, and the gears will make a bigger difference. If you're on a tight budget, find some 4:56 thirds for the time being.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts