BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing this email for a friend of mine. He has a 1980 Doge Power Wagon with a 6 inch suspension lift and 35's. He wants to know how effective lockers are, how they work, what type is the best for him, installation, all the details. He said he thinks his truck has Dana 44 and 60, not too sure. If anyone can answer these questions I'm sure it would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
"I am writing this email for a friend of mine."

For a friend? Isn't this what you say to your doctor?:p

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust me, it's for a friend. I won't drive a Dodge. My 78 Land Cruiser is much more fun. I told him to get a new truck, that would solve all his traction problems, he didn't like that.;)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Detroit Locker in the a$$ end...cost about $800 depending on his axle?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
What size is his truck? I have just consulted my book and here is what it tells me. If he has a 1/2 tonne it will have either a chrysler 8.75" or chrysler 9.25" rear. If he has a 3/4 tonne truck he will have a D60. If he has a 1 tonne truck, he will have a D70 rear.

for a front axle it would be a D44 for a 1/2 tonne and 3/4 tonne.D60 was optional on 3/4 tonne and standard on the 1 tonne.

Any of these axles are quite strong and your friend should have no problems adding a locker.

The best way to get more traction is with the use of a locker. The unfortunate thing is that they are very expensive for chrysler products. the one I have for my 8.75" rear cost $980 just for the locker, from NSOR. install was on top of that.

A cheaper way to get more traction is to weld the rear end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts