BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the front. Need to know how long they are stock so I know how much to extend my new ones I'm building. I also need to know whereabouts the stock shackles are mounted on the frame and how far from the bottom of the frame they are mounted. Please only answer these questions if you know for sure because it'll really screw up my crap if you're wrong.
Thanks guys!

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
45 Posts
dude... you should have done this last night when you were at my house.... I can't get you measurements tonight... but if you email me tomorrow to remind me I can get those exact measurements you need. Later Pete!

·
Registered
87 Posts
From what I was understand the stock front shackle lenght was 3.5 inches. I am not positive but I was looking at poguebilts truck and he had 1.5 inch longer than stock and his were 5 inches bolt to bolt. As to the stock location I have borrowed set of allpro's shackle mount jigs from dan o and am in the process of making some from that pattern. If you want some jigs let me know and I will make a set for you. I am also looking into the pipe to use as a sleeve but will not know that untill friday. I also have a set of tail lights off of an 86 if you still need them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well I just measured my 85 and I'm pretty sure they are stock. Thay are between 3 1/4 and 3 3/8. Hope that is close enough.

Mike.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't need the jigs just tell me as accurately as you can the location of the holes for the shackles. I'm mounting mine under the frame and I just wanted to know how much lift I'll get from that. The measuremeants for that don't have to be dead accurate.

So it sounds like the stock shackles are between 3 1/4 and 3 1/2? Anyone else feel like measuring theirs for me?
Thanks guys!

burger: I picked up a tail light last night off Terry but thanks for the offer!

------------------

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hope you have thought about the front hanger that you will have to make to overcome the negative pinion angle that will result from the rear shackle being so low. I looked into this option and found that the only way to overcome the harsh loss of pinion angle is to measure how much lower the bottom bolt of your new rear shackle is in relation to the bottom bolt of what would have been the original location of a stock rear shackle and then match that drop on the front hanger. i.e. if the bottom of the new hanger is 5" lower then your front hanger would have to be 5" lower. I think that this would give you awesome lift but your font hanger would be approx. 7-8 inches lower than the bottom of the crossmember. This would really lessen your approach angle as well as put those mounts out in the open more to take a beating.

[This message has been edited by burger (edited March 06, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One step ahead of you there burger buddy! As for approach angles and bashing it, there's going to be a bigass winch bumper and a winch directly in front of it so I'm not too concerned about it's safety.
My only concern is that mounting the shackle under the frame will give me so much lift I won't be able to run a longer shackle, and the tiny little shackles will limit my travel. That would be bad.

------------------

·
Registered
412 Posts
http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota/crossmem.htm I am assuming you have read this page?

Mike.

------------------
FOR SALE:
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, 5.29's, new bearings, detroit rear, true trac front, allpro e brake, new 33's on 15x10 AR aluminums, front axle rebuild, bushwacker cut outs, locking tool box, extended shackles, SR5 buckets, lots of spare parts, email for pics.

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read it once upon a time and didn't understand alot but I just read it again and it was very helpful. Thanks Mike!

------------------

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey pete!
I was still thinking about your rig! I think you should just sleave your frame like I did and then run a 5" shackle.... you will not like the dropped hanger....
I think the shackle under the frame is not a ideal thing to do! you guys are set up to do anything you want to it!

------------------
Poguebilt Toys..... A new breed of Toyota Perfection.
1986 Toyota pickup solid axle conv. 5" susp. 3"body 36" tslsx siped, 5.29's, K&N
spool rear, detroit front, 5012's, 44044's, 4cyl bored, balanced, Doug thorley header, flowmaster muffler, OTT crossover steering , u-bolt flip F/R, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

·
Registered
373 Posts
well if you must here is some more info for ya!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/mods.htm

take some time and read the sas swaps! really interesting!

Talk to you later!

------------------
1986 Toyota pickup solid axle conv. 5" susp. 3"body 36" tslsx siped, 5.29's, K&N
spool rear, detroit front, 5012's, 44044's, 4cyl bored, balanced, Doug thorley header, flowmaster muffler, OTT crossover steering , u-bolt flip F/R, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the concern Jay, but we're definetly going under the frame.
Those links were very helpful. Thanks dude!

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so what I really need to know is how far is it from the center of the sleaved hole through the frame to the bottom of the frame. Any of you shackle-through-the-frame guys know how far that is? Thanks a ton!

------------------

·
Registered
412 Posts
OK now these measurements were taken in my housecoat, barefoot,in an open carport and its snowing, that means you owe me one now. 1.5 inches center from bottom of the frame up. And 2 inches center from back of body mount forward.

Mike.

------------------
FOR SALE:
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, 5.29's, new bearings, detroit rear, true trac front, allpro e brake, new 33's on 15x10 AR aluminums, front axle rebuild, bushwacker cut outs, locking tool box, extended shackles, SR5 buckets, lots of spare parts, email for pics.

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks a ton Mike! I had originally calculated the distance at 0.5" for some reason (drunken math is NOT good) so that would have been pretty damn bad. I owe you one man. This means that I'll get 1.5" of lift just by putting the shackle under the frame (plus whatever gained by longer shackles.. still re-working it out).

So the general consensus is that stock front shackles are around 3.5" long?

Does anyone know for sure if the Wagoneer leafs require a 1.5" longer than stock shackle if they were mounted without a dropped front hanger?

So many questions.. so little time. The welding starts Monday!

------------------

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have to go through some of my pics but im pretty sure when im under max flex it comes pretty close so I would porb recomend a longer than stock shackle! and yes the stock ones are 3.5"!

Good luck!!!

------------------

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
3.5 inches 83 sb efi

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/89 efi/8.5" lift/5:29+elocker/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

1 - 18 of 18 Posts