BC 4x4 Forums banner

how many...............

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  FNYOTA 
#1 ·
anyone know how many leaf springs are in the front and rear of any 79-83 pickup? i have an 81 and i just took out some springs, now i have five up front, six in the back. is this how many there are stock pr is it more or is it less? the ride is still pretty bumpy, i dont think my springs are the original leafs.....damnit......some help please!?!?!?!?!

#2 ·
Springs do lose their ride over time,if these are 20 year old springs taking leaves out isn't really the solution.
The leaves become flat, lose some of the arch they had, it's the first inch of give that makes a decent ride.
The leaves will also wear into the one above, this will not let the leave move properly.This makes a very harsh ride.
If your leaves have worn into the leaf above any significant amount , it's time for new springs.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.