BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would you pay for a 1994 Explorer, auto, leather seats, a/c, power everything
211 000 km?
Is $8000 a good deal?
Rhys

------------------
red sami

·
Registered
63 Posts
It sounds like a pretty good deal, its just that the 200,000 plus km worries me a bit. If it checks out allright you can't really go wrong.

------------------
86 F150 4x4 302 Winter fun
84 F150 XLT 351W Summer Fling

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by 1MEANF150:
It sounds like a pretty good deal, its just that the 200,000 plus km worries me a bit. If it checks out allright you can't really go wrong.
Its coming up on 9 model years old, 200K isn't out of reason. Is it 4wd?

------------------
I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah 4wd, just had a rebuilt tranny put in it, $3000 stereo system in it too, its my sisters roommates he's moving to England so he wants to get rid of it.
still toying with the idea of buying it.
Rhys

------------------
red sami

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by Rhys:
Yeah 4wd, just had a rebuilt tranny put in it, $3000 stereo system in it too, its my sisters roommates he's moving to England so he wants to get rid of it.
still toying with the idea of buying it.
Rhys
Make a nice daily driver, or I'll give ya $400 for the front end LOL!

------------------

·
Registered
63 Posts
My mom has a 93 and it is mint with only 110,000km and it has all the options and she was quoted $8000 for a trade in on a brand new one.

With the new tranny and big stereo that might not be to of a deal.

------------------

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
My mom has a 93 and it is mint with only 110,000km and it has all the options and she was quoted $8000 for a trade in on a brand new one.

So they are saying they will sell it for 12000+. That makes the 200k one a pretty good deal.

------------------

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, he says that when he puts it into 4wd now it makes a clunking sound for a while then runs smooth. It is push button 4x4, any clue what this might be? he said i could take it for $5500, i think he was joking a little but if he doesnt want to fix it and it is something fairly inexpensive to fix i might just go for it...

Rhys

------------------
red sami

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Originally posted by Rhys:
Update, he says that when he puts it into 4wd now it makes a clunking sound for a while then runs smooth. It is push button 4x4, any clue what this might be?

Auto hubs? They're blown. . .

------------------
Steve Dillen
'90 Ranger. . .pretty much stock.
'94 S10 Blazer. . .pretty much a soccermobile.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by sdillen:
Auto hubs? They're blown. . .

Ya, but they GOTTA GO anyway. 5500? sounds great!

------------------

·
Registered
83 Posts
The market value for Ford Explorer's is very poor right now. I sell cars for a living and we had a MINT 1994 4dr with only 80,000 kms. We sold it for $7500 WITH a new tranny. If any car lot can get 12000 bux for an Explorer like this let me know and I'll send them lots of 'em! If you can buy this one for 5500 and you are comfortable with the vehicle, then go for it. A good deal is a state of mind. But I will say that an Explorer with 200,000 kms is no steal at $5500. Not bad, but no steal.

------------------
if it ain't broke, you don't go hard enough!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with Wade its a good deal but not great, for $5500 though I would seriously consider it but $8000 is a bit to much.

Captain Air Time - There is a difference between a Ford dealership selling a vehicle and a private sale, say about 25% and then tax.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1MEANF150 (edited January 31, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Captain Air Time - There is a difference between a Ford dealership selling a vehicle and a private sale, say about 25% and then tax.
[/B]
More than that, from what I've seen. Hence, the 50% post. Maybe a bit exagerated, but ALL dealership used car prices are.

Another thing, it has been mentioned that a 'new' transmission is a good selling feature. Well, from what I've seen/heard, an Exploder without a new transmission is an Exploder with a dead or dying transmission. the older A4LD's really suck if used more than lightly. Every time I see an explorer with a trailer behind it I cringe

------------------

·
Registered
228 Posts
They made major upgrades to the tranny in 94, but it is still a POS. X drivetrains are otherwise good. 4.0L engine is strong, Dana 35 up front (TTB is the best IFS) and an 8.8" in the rear (31 spline). They can be built for fun...

Mine - SAS Dana 44, 5" lift, 35's

Paul G - Superlift 6", 36's, ARB'd front and rear

They have lot's of room but are a bit tight on some trails...

Cheers
Dale

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer
Chrome grill guard and some other mods...

·
Chump
624 Posts
Originally posted by tiessen:
They made major upgrades to the tranny in 94, but it is still a POS. X drivetrains are otherwise good.
We just recently got a 94 Exloder as a daily driver, 4 dr, 5 spd. Everything on it seems to be good but what have you guys heard about the 5 spd in the long term? I think it is a Mazda gearbox.

Does a T5 bolt up to the 4.0L? Not that I plan on doing ay mods to this yet...I am just curious.

JCD

·
Registered
583 Posts
I agree with Wade its a good deal but not great, for $5500 though I would seriously consider it but $8000 is a bit to much.
I'd tend to agree simply because of how many miles it has on it. If it was 110,000km I'd say it was a steal at $5500

For what it's worth my 4.0L has 213,000km and it is still very strong and smoke free. The 4.0L is a very reliable engine, what you need to check carefully is the transmission.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

I was going to go crazy but then I realized that I already have a summer home there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts