BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying over the web from a U.S. Jeep accessory dealer, either Quadratec or one of the others, and wanted to know what are the hidden costs involved. I know there'll be GST levied at the border and there'll be shipping to pay as well, but are there also hidden costs I'm not aware of? Has anyone ordered from the States that could answer my questions?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If the parts are US made the duty is minimal.
It's the "brokerage" fees that kill you. This is the fee you pay to have your package locked in a secure room for two weeks during which various customs workers periodically shake, open, drop, and misplace you package. If the package is in any way suspicious they bring their dog in to pee on it.

:confused2

Yes, I'm not too happy with the customs today. They seized a used lift kit a buddy in the US was sending me and demanded I provide written proof of it's market value or they toss it in the garbage.

·
Registered
344 Posts
yeah i got screwed once with brokerage fees...if u can, have them use usps to send it to u...do not use ups, i repeat do not use ups!!...they will charge u another brokerage fee when they drop off....

allan

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
big jeep'n said:
yeah i got screwed once with brokerage fees...if u can, have them use usps to send it to u...do not use ups, i repeat do not use ups!!...they will charge u another brokerage fee when they drop off....

allan
You can get UPS to leave the package at their pick-up site state-side and go get it yourself, avoiding brokerage fees as you clear customs with the package. It's just a matter of asking them to do it.

If you don't have a US post-box, or a friend with one, then UPS is a decent alternative - and their shipping prices are quite reasonable (in fact, some distributors will include UPS in the price of the good).

·
Registered
358 Posts
You can always use FedEx. We don't charge brokerage fees. You just have to sign a form that we're acting for you.
That is if you can afford to use us.:D

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
xjtank said:
That is if you can afford to use us.:D
Is that the new FedEx advertising slogan?:laugh

This little guy is conveying the message I would like to give brokerage representatives with their over priced fees!

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can get UPS to leave the package at their pick-up site state-side and go get it yourself, avoiding brokerage fees as you clear customs with the package. It's just a matter of asking them to do it.
=======
Tim: Unless they have changed their policy yet again, they stopped doing that quite a number of years ago. Got pissy about not wanting to be a warehouse and all that.

If you don't have a US post-box, or a friend with one, then UPS is a decent alternative - and their shipping prices are quite reasonable (in fact, some distributors will include UPS in the price of the good)
========
Tim: The US post office is only good up to a certain size/weight of package. A better option than USPS or UPS as a warehouse (depot is in Bellingham?), is to use one of those independent businesses that will recieve for you. I use one in Lynden that charges a minimal fee, and they even call you when your package arrives. I'm sure there are such businesses in Blaine or Sumas if that is closer for you. Regardless, it is much closer to the border.

HTH

Tim

·
Chump
624 Posts
I use Hagens of Blaine.
816 Peace Portal Way

UPS agent, they have mailboxes and can receive for you, not sure of the price though as I use it through work

1 - 9 of 9 Posts