BC 4x4 Forums banner

How much $ on your Truck

3K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  C.A.M.E.R.O.N 
#1 ·
I was a wanna-be 4X4 owner. So I bought one, a late 80’s Bronco, bone stock except for nerf bars. Now I’m a wanna-be off “built truck” owner and I’m discovering that it’s very expensive to be one without taking major shortcuts. Every time I see a “done” truck now all I wonder is how much did that guy spend. Noting is as simple as it seems when doing up a truck. For example, I’m considering installing a suspension lift, (2+ K) my mechanic informs me that my drive shafts will now be the end or close to the end of there travel and to do the lift right I should change the drive shafts and that custom ones may be needed. ($$$$$$) (Please, I don’t want to debate my mechanics views on suspension lifts, it’s only meant as an example, everyone can tell stories about how a seeming simple mod turned out to be a major expense) What I’m curious about is how much coin are some of you pumping into your trucks? Especially those of you driving the really sweet rigs like totally done CJ’s, early Bronco’s and such. I could drive a rusted piece of crap with a huge body lift, bald 38’s and a worn out drive train, but I’d never trust it 40 miles in the bush, and that’s why I want a truck, to go off road, a long way off road. I can’t figure out how some of you guy’s drive the rigs that you do, what’s up?

#5 ·
Like most of us(I think) it is a slow time/money intensive project. All of our modifications don't take place in a week or two it actually takes years to get to the point that some of us are at, building up our trucks instages and when the cash flow (and or the wife/girlfriend)allows us. And last but not least you have to do alot of reading and dealing to find the best ways to improve your truck and learning how to do the modifications yourself. A helpful example would be you might not need custom drive shafts for your truck($$$$). There are lots of used ones that came off the same years of ford trucks and come in many different lengths and should fairly easy to find at a wrecker or even cheaper from someone wrecking there own truck, you just have to know what to look for. As for how much money is in mine, I don't want to know, but I did just spend 2000$ for tires and wheels.

------------------
78 3/4T 350 chev:D

#10 ·
Dan, what kinda funkiness do you have lurking in that front axle of yours that cost 2500?
me, well lets see, rusty piece of **** with some cool attachments, couple grand. couple years driving with maybe a grand or so of truck expenses, then 8 grand building myself a new cruiser the way I wanted one. pretty much anyways. more expensive stuff to add, and probably to fix in the future. but so what.
keeling over with money in the bank is a sad , sad thing.:D
cheers.

#13 ·
Haven't even been able to put to many mods on my truck b/c I have been putting too many parts into it to keep it on the road.
Last night i started on a job to replace the 2 u-joints in the front axle and now know that I need upper and lower ball joints, brakes soon, and a lot of other parts b/c some jackass likes to beat things with a hammer.:mad:

#17 ·
$0 for the Jeep (It's not mine)
$1500 for leafs and 8 shocks over two years
$1000 in body accs.
$2000+ in Oil, gaskets, u-joints, brake lines, seals, plugs, dist cap, assorted wires/lines/hoses, and more oil
$1000 in tools
$400 in wheels/tires (garage sales)
$Priceless - being the only guy fishing on the best lakes

#19 · (Edited)
Yes It can add up very fast.

I am up to about $15,000 now and the cost is goin up. That includes buying the truck for $1200

And It's still not driveable.

As you can see from other peoples posts. It is possible to build a capable truck at a decent price. It all depends on what you modify, and how custom the work is that is being done, and how much of it you do your self.

#20 ·
Pavement Hater said:
I’m considering installing a suspension lift, (2+ K) my mechanic informs me that my drive shafts will now be the end or close to the end of there travel and to do the lift right I should change the drive shafts and that custom ones may be needed.
I dunno. I called Drive Products and Pat's Driveline. Both are sponsors of this board link one of them said that they could hook me up with a new front driveshaft for +/-$350 and the other quoted me +/-$150 for fixing my current one(the dust/grease boot fitting is fawked and I'm getting too much play in the splines) Look around. Obviously a susp. lift is better than a body lift, so you're in the right track, but like someone else allready told you, do it in spurts. I wouldn't do the front and rear susp. at different times, but in terms of steering, etc. As long as everything 'fits' or is 'drivable', I'm sure you can fight the bumpsteer for two weeks before another paycheque comes along. Oh yah, I lucked out on wheels and tires. Start saving now, because you could very easily drop $2000 on new beefs all the way around.

#21 ·
Adding up all the receipts is just depressing. Playing with my Jeep is how I relax. Turning wrenches or running trails helps me unwind. I look at my Jeep as an investment in my mental health. I spend just enough to keep myself sane. If you've seen my Jeep you know it takes a lot to keep me sane :D

The key to keeping costs down is to do the work yourself. Start out by lending a hand when a buddy installs a lift kit. Watch the board, when you see people planning to work on something, offer to lend a hand. Put together a work party. All these things give you the chance to learn how to do the work and give you a few extra hands when you get stuck.

When I first got my Jeep I could barely change the plugs and oil. Now, a decade later, I'm doing engine swaps, custom suspension work, building cages, and frame off buildups. The only time shops get my money now is when I need to buy a set of tires or another item I can't build myself.

#22 ·
ahh, I see now dan....when you look at it that way, I guess my front axle cost me over a grand. I try not to think of these things in the overall scheme tho...
like the way when you start a project you make 18 frikken runs down to the hardware store for bolts, zip cuts and other crap and they all add up in a frightening way, so I don't add em up.
:D
and then there's the one expense no-ones mentioned yet. every single repair I've ever made to my truck , has required approx. 18 beer....I don't pay rent on the garage my buddy lets me use, I just let him have the empties. and damn, I think he's gettin a pretty good deal!
yep, seems to take a fair bit to keep me sane too. heh.
cheers.

#23 ·
To my point of view, you must answer one major question: do I need it to comlete my desire.
If you wish to go really off-road then look at ex-military trucks.
If you wish to travel to places that nobody can reach then make some mod's of your truck in order to be adequate to your tasks.

Serge.
Moscow, Russia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.