BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for you guys. My buddy is going to buy a 94 Chevy truck, don't know what type, but its got IFS. How much should a solid axle swap cost, he got quoted $6000, that seems awfully high
Thanks
Jordan

------------------
87 XJ: 4" lift, 31x10.50 BFG's, roof rack, ramsey 8000 winch, hi lift jack, cb radio, swaybars disconnected, and some other stuff

·
Registered
391 Posts
Does that include the axle and drive shaft? if so what kind of axle? If thats just labor its way too much.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, i guess that is including the axle and driveshaft. I'm not too sure though, any recommendations of what axle he should run up front? Maybe someone could give an estimate of what a conversion should cost with and without axle/driveshaft? Also monzter, you just recently did a swap, right, any keep pointers or advice you could give.
Thanks
Jordan

------------------
87 XJ: 4" lift, 31x10.50 BFG's, roof rack, ramsey 8000 winch, hi lift jack, cb radio, swaybars disconnected, and some other stuff

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well I went with a Dana 60 but they're gettin hard to find, a dana 44 would do him fine if he doesnt have a lead foot and he keeps his tire size under 38". Either way he's gonna have to find a Ford axle because the general decided to put the Tcase on the drivers side on that generation of truck. Another option is to swap Tcases to an older Chevy style but that requires an adapter for the tranny($$$). If he sticks with the stock case have him look for a high pinion axle, and try not to go too crazy with the lift or he'll be shelling out big bucks for the drivehaft(trust me). He can use springs for the 73-87 chevy application they work nice. If he can get it done for $6000 everything included (rebuilt Dana 44 driveshaft, springs, crossover steering etc...)out the door, I'd say thats fair. If that includes a 60 tell him to go for it.

Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts