BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
the computer advances the timming at idle. you must by-pass this circut to set it correctly. there is a service plug which should be located on the passenger side fender. under the cap of the plug there should be a diagram labeling the terminals. you need to jump the TE1 and E1 terminals togheter. its also important thet the engine is warmed up fully.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The plug is on the drivers side, just behind the air box and beside the PS pump. It is not marked. Jeremy gave you the description for the plug on the 3VZE 3.0 V6 motor. It is a small yellow connector with nothing connected to it. It may be capped (probably not). Just jab a wire into it. You will know you have the right one because the check engine light will begin to flash and the idle speed will change.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. One question......do i set the idle to spec before I check the timing or after?? Also, do I short out the plug before i set the idle or do I set the idle before I short the plug??

THanks, the truck runs way better with the new chain but the timing is out....

Ryan

·
Registered
325 Posts
set the idle first, then short the terminal "t" and then set the timing. pull the wire out of the terminal then set your idle to spec and so on until you get it right on. I personally find that advancing the timing more gets better performance but that is me I just messed around till I hit the sweet spot :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
4-runnin said:
The plug is on the drivers side, just behind the air box and beside the PS pump. It is not marked. Jeremy gave you the description for the plug on the 3VZE 3.0 V6 motor. It is a small yellow connector with nothing connected to it. It may be capped (probably not). Just jab a wire into it. You will know you have the right one because the check engine light will begin to flash and the idle speed will change.
errrrrr. wrong.
i AM referring to a 22re. it IS the the service plug used to connect to dianostic eqipment. it has many terminals. the correct idle speed and ignition timing are on the emissions label under the hood.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
He probably knows what he is talking about, but he got drivers and passenger side mixed up. The plug is on the drivers side!

I suspect it is possible they changed it on later models (90's). But I personally have never seen any of them with it on the p-side and I have seen about a millkion.

K, I re-read your post Jeremy and ithey must have changed it at some point. There is no diagnostic terminal on my or any other 22re I have ever seen so they must have changed it on later models. Ruggles, what year is your truck?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My truck is called an 85 but it was made in 84... The engine is a 22re-c. There is no plug on the passsenger side and there are a few plugs on the drivers side. Which one is it? There is a plug with a cap on it (it has only one connection point on it) There is a plug with two connection points on it, and there is one more like 4-5 connection points on it. Which one is it? I don't want to short out the wrong thing but I'd like to get the thing timed properly.

Ruggles

·
Registered
363 Posts
4-runnin said:
He probably knows what he is talking about, but he got drivers and passenger side mixed up. The plug is on the drivers side!
I suspect it is possible they changed it on later models (90's). But I personally have never seen any of them with it on the p-side and I have seen about a millkion.
K, I re-read your post Jeremy and ithey must have changed it at some point. There is no diagnostic terminal on my or any other 22re I have ever seen so they must have changed it on later models. Ruggles, what year is your truck?

i looked at an older efi truck, and yes that is the case. there is a seperate plugin on older models. essentially they are wired to the same place on the compluter. one of the teminals is simply a ground on the diagnostic plugin. of the wiring diagrams ive seen, they show all efi models using a diagnositc plug for timing adjustments regardless of the year, and im used to working on a '92 22re. mabye it was done with the body style change.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts