BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres my problem........ replaced my tranny this weekend and found that the fluid check bolts head has been rounded. Tried pipe wrench, vice grips and even tried to weld something on to grab but it wouldn't weld on for some reason. Anyone got any suggestions on how to get the thing out?

·
Registered
163 Posts
well, my diff filler plug was like this. and it's one of the really low profile bolt heads that toyota likes to use on fillers(so that wrenches slip off and round the corners easily)
I used a coldchisel and toyota sst BFH and after a good mauling it came out. :*******

·
Registered
190 Posts
Can you slot the bolt head and use a ratchet with a large slotted bit? Could even weld up a cheap socket and some scap to make one that would be strong enough and large enough if you don't have one that will work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
you can buy these plyers called channel locks. they resemble pipe plyers only they have a shorter head and more angled teeth. if there is room for these to bite. id try them. the harder you pull on the handles the harder they bite the metal. ive never had mine slip like vice grips. they work awsome on anything as long as there is room to get a grip.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Well if the bolt head is rounded off that usually means it was way too tight to come out by conventional means. So cutting a slot in it and using a flat bit wont work either, you'll just strip it out.

If welding a nut onto it wont work maybe you could drill a hole in a large piece of flat bar the right size to go over the bolt head and weld that to it. Even if it wont weld to the bolt at least you can weld around it and make the flat bar exaclty the same size and hopefully it will be tight enough to be able to break the bolt loose.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Cut the head off the bolt (if possible) and go to Lordo or CDN Tire and buy yourself a set of E-Z Outs. They are busted stud removers that you need a drill bit (supplied with EZouts) to drill into the stud or bolt and then use the EZout to remove the broken piece using a ratchet or a wrench:D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Clean it off, then weld a nut that is larger in diameter to the filler plug.
Make sure it's a big enough nut so you can weld it from the inside, then turn it out.:welder

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
My advice is to not bother trying to use an EZ Out. If the bolt head stripped it stripped because it was seized in the hole. Now to drill a hole in it and thread in an EZ Out which is smaller in diameter is gonna result in a broken EZ Out. Guaranteed.

·
Registered
591 Posts
put the problem in the back of ur mind, you'll forget about it sooner or later...thats how my jeep keeps runnin!

:laugh :D

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Dan said:
My advice is to not bother trying to use an EZ Out. If the bolt head stripped it stripped because it was seized in the hole. Now to drill a hole in it and thread in an EZ Out which is smaller in diameter is gonna result in a broken EZ Out. Guaranteed.
Not to mention that once you have the EZ Out broken off in the plug, it's next to impossible to drill that out. If you're going to drill the plug out, start with a 1/8" GOOD QUALITY bit. Cheap bits break and are much harder than the surrounding metal -- might as well have a broken EZ Out in there. After you get the first pass through, follow your pilot hole with progressively larger bits until you can see the threads. Lots of penetrating oil and some time with a pick will get the 'coil' of the remaining plug out. The problem you're going to have with drilling the plug out is keeping metal filings from falling into the tranny. . .

I would try filing new flats onto existing plug (dremel tools work very well for this!), then trying to weld a socket or using Dan's flat bar trick to extract it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts