BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
i am not really sure but my friends blew and took out the ring attached to the ring gear to tell his auto tranny when to shift. this ****ed **** up...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Thats the vehicle speed sensor (newer 8.8's)

welding the rear requires the spider gears getting welded to the side(drive) gears

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
trick is to find a good welder. anything will 'work', but nuthin beats a quality TIG weld.
IMO stick and MIG have too much spatter and **** gets on your ring and pinion gears.
Lots peeps do it, but I'ld rather be sure, over replacing a gear set shortly after.

No need to revove the carrier
a)pop the cover
b)clean the center gears
c)weld 'er up
d) replace cover and top up fluid
:beer

·
Registered
411 Posts
get an experienced welder to do the work because there is a proper procedure to welding those cast gears.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
They gears should not be cast steel.
Maybe your thinkin for welding the gears to the cast carrier. You can weld the side gears to the carrier, but I'ld preffer the gears welded together (more quality weld / better steel).

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok i'm not sure on the exact type of metal it is but if it's not cast then there hardened, otherwise they wouldn't stand up to the wear and tear. and welding hardened steel is the same procedure as cast. i have a welded rear end in my S10 and i'v welded lots of other rear ends and to this day not one has broken.

this is the procedure i use

1. drain rear end
2. burn off oil residue on gears and carrier with torch
3. paint everything with std primer other than what your welding this will prevent spater from sticking to anything
4. preheat gears with torch and weld solid, I prefer gas shielded flux core or metal core wire because it welds really hot.
5. chip off slag and post heat a couple times.

thats it, when it's cooled down blow out with compressed air and chip off any spater that stuck. if it's a good weld it will never break.

you'll probly break the axle before the weld.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I was always told you should use stainless ... but i've never done it myself.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The only thing you would use stainless wire on is stainless steel. I'v never heard of anyone using stainless on anything else, so i dont know what the strength of the weld would be. I dont think it would work to well though.

Chris

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
stianless rod is good for dirty work, I forget why but its used quite commonly when TIG welding mild steel.

No idea if this hold true for MIG welding, I've been spoiled by TIG welding, MIG is for farmers LOL

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
weld spiders to pinion gears, and then weld those to the carrier... i also welded the pinion gears to the cross shaft too.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
All you should need to weld is the 8 contact points on the side gears.

This crap about filling in all the teeth and welding stuff to the case is BS.

Just do like chris said clean it and preheat it. Also heat wrap it during the cool down if you can!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have welded 4 diffs and never had a problem with them. They have all been wheelend hard for a year now.
All I did was weld the spiders all together and then the spiders to the case. I used a mig and no preheat.
Be sure to clean the carrier with breakclean.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I had Pat weld the spider and side gears together solid. Just keep welding till you cant see any gears anymore.

Pat: That should be enough
Me: No, you still have welding rods left.

·
Registered
90 Posts
make sure u dont heat ur bearings up or theyll **** up, i know (at least it was my field car.....)

Reactions: westcoaster
1 - 20 of 41 Posts