BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried searching but can't find what i'm looking for. tried all over google with no luck either. i got an 85 chevy 1/2 ton and i'm trying to find pics on where to drill and tap for hydro assist. from what i've found none of the pics match my steering box. are the locations the same for 4wd and 2wd boxes? i'm not looking to tap the top cap. any help is appreciated

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've looked at that one a couple times..but the pics near the bottom throw me off. they must obviously be of a different gearbox.

·
Registered
451 Posts
ok, start off with do you have the stock 4WD steering box? if you dont know the easiest way to tell is do you have crossover steering? if you have the 4WD box you cannot drill and tap to use hydro assist. you will need to find a 2WD box and switch to crossover steering.

·
Registered
455 Posts
once you know what box you are going to use take it apart and it really easy to tell were you need to drill. i could not find any good info on how to do mine but had a ruff idea so i pulled the box apart. once it was apart i turned the input shaft and you can see how it turns and how the fluid flows and then i know right away where to put the fittings. there were lots of diff spots to put the fittings but i picked the strongest places to put mine

heres my ford box

·
Registered
220 Posts
i tried searching but can't find what i'm looking for. tried all over google with no luck either. i got an 85 chevy 1/2 ton and i'm trying to find pics on where to drill and tap for hydro assist. from what i've found none of the pics match my steering box. are the locations the same for 4wd and 2wd boxes? i'm not looking to tap the top cap. any help is appreciated
The GM truck 2wd & 4wd steering boxes are identical except for the sector shaft, the 2wd box has the pitman arm pointing rearward which you need for crossover steering. If you do not have crossover yet do this mod first. The steering box shown on pirate is from a GM car or a Jeep (bolt to inside of frame)
the lower pics are of a Scout type box. The drill and tap location for the GM truck boxes are different.
Check the pic on this site: http://coloradok5.com/hydroassist.shtml

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.