BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a black canopy on my truck, the thing is, it is faded to a grey. My truck is black non faded. I want to spray paint the canopy black. Can I do this and if so, does anyone know how i should go about it?

thanks

------------------
Big Stu Dawg
92 Sonoma 4.3L Vortec V6.
werkin up to a 4"susp. lift and 3" body

·
Registered
129 Posts
YES. Buy Black spray paint. Remove cap. Depress nossle. move hand back and forth.
Hope that was help.

Just kidding go to lordco ask the paint guy to come look at the truck and recomend a paint that will match. then follow above directions.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes you can do it. It takes quite a few spray cans though. Your better off to use a compressor and a paint gun if you can get one.

------------------
88 XJ "rollin in my 4.0 with the window down so my hair can blow."
www.teamrush.web.com

·
Registered
453 Posts
I used gloss black tremclad on my canopy for my toyota and i'm using it again on my blazer, it's cheap as hell and thick so it's very easy to spray. To clean the surface i bought a container of paint reducer, wiped the entire surface down and painted?/ I didn't even use primer and it was glued on so good it even withstood the pressure washer at close range. I also bought one of the sprayer handles to keep my hands clean and get a more even spray. I love Cambodian tire. hahahaha good luck

------------------
Project MudhuckerII is now underway and movin ahead

·
Registered
153 Posts
GOTO MACCO probanly get your hole canapy painted to match your truck for $200 or so then it would look good and then they warenty there work for fadeing.

------------------
Play Safe Wheel Safe
91 YJ Sprung over on 35's

·
1,269 Posts
If you do decide to do it yourself clearcoat the crap out of it.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know a thing or two bout paint... clean top as well as you can... paint with one coat of plastic primer (latex, not stinky and water soluble)... then coat with whatever top coat you want... oil-based paints, especially residential use paints... tend to yellow over time--unless they have some kind of anti-rust/marine use durability... if you go latex, go with an institutional use type of latex...ex. General Paint's Envirogard Paint- comes in eggshell, semi-gloss, and full-gloss...

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Is that a fiberglass canopy and its the gelcoat thats faded?

Take some 600 grit sandpaper to a small area and give it a good sanding to see if the color comes back. Then sand out the 600 grit scratches with 1200. My guess is it will come back to black. If it does then do it to the whole canopy, when hit the whole thing with a good cut polish.

Then wax well.

If it doesnt work, oh well, at least that section is already sanded and ready for paint.

------------------
Dan
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

1 - 8 of 8 Posts