BC 4x4 Forums banner

i need some help

751 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  BBP 
G
#1 ·
hey guys :
i noticed on a truck i looked at has the rear shock mount broken it looks like the shock bolts onto a tube trhat goes across the frame and was wondering how would be a good way to fix this .. it tore a hole in the tube i was also wondering if the tube unb olts or if it is welded and how would be the best way to fix this situation ? thanx for all the help guys

#2 ·
If the shock mount crossmember is rusted out.. I would have a real good look up in behind the gas tank... that truck sounds like it has the classic Toyota rusty frame syndrome.
If the frame is rusty but not -Terminal-
then there are places that will repair it for approx $1000.00
A rusty frame should definitly affect the selling price of the truck.....

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

#3 ·
I remounted the shocks to a new tube that sits above the old one with thick tabs hanging down to mount the shocks in the stock position and with tabs for inboarding them. My shock tube rotted away but the frame in behind the gas tank is very solid...I found this out when I replaced the deck and cleaned up the frame with a grinder and a wire wheel. In my case and maybe in yours the rotted out shock tube was not indicative of my entire frame....luckily....my floorboards are another story though

JCD

[This message has been edited by Jordan (edited February 21, 2002).]

#5 ·
Originally posted by wannabetoydriver:
hey jordan
so you just repaced it with another tube how much did it cost and was it welded or bolted in thanx for your help
Marc

The tube cost me nothing but would probably cost no more than $20 at Metal Supermarkets. Mine is bolted in with 4 bolts clamping around the frame...but could be welded if needed...I wasn't sure if this was going to permanent or not so I did not weld it.

If it was not raining so hard I would go outside and take some digital pictures...maybe another day if you are still hard up for ideas.

JCD

#8 ·
Just out of curiousity Jordan, where abouts is Metal Supermarkets located? I'm assuming they have all sorts of metal at competetive prices? (being a supermarket and all...
)

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.