BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My valves are F***ed. I don't know what to do. THe seals are for sure done for, as for what else is wrong with it, I don't know. I replaced the spark plugs yesterday only to find a heep of oil around them. My truck won't start, and if it does, it will die right away.
What do I do?
ANyone know where to go (I AM ON VERY LIMITED FUNDS), or does anybody know how to do them, it's a little too technical for my fingers.
PLEASE HELP, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
i'm gonna cry :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
Valve guide seals are cheap. Is this what is wrong? Your truck should run fine even with worn guide seals, it'll just smoke like a bugger. Its not a really hard job to do just time consuming and you have to be careful not to drop a vavle into the motor. If that happens then it take longer and is harder because you have to pull the head off. I would help you out but you are too far away. I actually have to do the set on my 455 buick :D too bad you aren't closer we'd have a valve guide seal replacing party. :D

Corey

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
About $60 bucks for a set. I had mine done at the head shop.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My truck doesn't run, and it doesn't smoke. When it does run for the few seconds, it makes a popping noise, then it just stalls and won't start back up.
How hard is it to take it all apart?

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Your truck is fuel injected?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm probably way off on this but were the plugs gapped before they were installed? Poor or no spark would cuase it to not run. Did it run before you changed the plugs?

·
Registered
171 Posts
How did it run before?
It should still run if the seals are gone
Did you take anything else apart or wash the motor.
do you mean popping sound as in misfiring?

You know what i'm doing to my truck so if you need any parts let me know;)

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Sorry for suggesting this but...if the truck ran before your plug change and now it doesn't, did you double check to make sure the plug wires are connected correctly? If it's "popping," I suspect that the plug wires were hooked up wrong and she's misfiring.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Was the oil on the outside of the plugs? No big deal if it is.
If it ran before, check the plug gap and type again, check the wires also.
Sometimes a plug change can be the end of fragile old wires.
Get it running then worry about the seals if need be.

·
Registered
171 Posts
lars said:
Sorry for suggesting this but...if the truck ran before your plug change and now it doesn't, did you double check to make sure the plug wires are connected correctly? If it's "popping," I suspect that the plug wires were hooked up wrong and she's misfiring.

...lars
That's a good point lars I was going to say that but forgot.In the manual the way it shows to hook them up is WRONG.I had this problem it would get soooo close to starting and it was misfiring

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was stalling before, it was popping (misfiring) before. The oil was on the inside of the sparkplugs and created an ash type of crap that covered the plugs. I did gap them to the correct measurement, I also replaced the rodor because I noticed that it was the wrong size and not hitting the cap properly.
That was all I did. It's doing the exact same thing just a lot worse.

·
Registered
171 Posts
girlwithtruck said:
It was stalling before, it was popping (misfiring) before. The oil was on the inside of the sparkplugs and created an ash type of crap that covered the plugs. I did gap them to the correct measurement, I also replaced the rodor because I noticed that it was the wrong size and not hitting the cap properly.
That was all I did. It's doing the exact same thing just a lot worse.
With new plugs it should run fine for alittle while before they get covered in crap.Recheck a plug for condition and check plug wires for correct order.
If the seals are leaking you should get a puff of blue smoke when you start it up after it been sitting for awhile.
It sounds like a ignition prob(wires,rotor,coil and the wiring)

·
Registered
382 Posts
check each plug for cracks. this happened to me once the car ran fine before the plug change then when we tried to fire it up after the change the car snapped crackled popped or whatever.
turned out to be a cracked plug

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
I just remembered something similar happening to me also. Turned out to be the coil wire.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How many km's are on the engine? Has the timing chain been done? Sound like the timing chain has jumped. It causing poping, misfire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I highly doubt it would be your timing belt. I speak from experience, that every time my belt went my truck did not start, pop or do bugger all.

·
Registered
171 Posts
crazy_chevy_chick said:
I highly doubt it would be your timing belt. I speak from experience, that every time my belt went my truck did not start, pop or do bugger all.
Toys have timing chains and as they get older they get longer(streched)and they sometimes skip a few theeh on the sproket.

·
Registered
504 Posts
you can get someone to crank the engine while you spray a mist of water on the ignition wires and plugs (cap too), and if its dark you will see the arcing:*******

1 - 20 of 38 Posts