BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i bought a '96 f150 not too long ago and i dont really know much about it, i replaced the auto lock hubs with warn ones and i am havin a great time drivin all over, i've only had cars so far but my dad has always driven trucks but i dont know much about them... i'm semi-mechanically inclined but my only experience is with cars, i'm rambling here so mostly i wanna know stuff like axles, diffs crap like that just what parts i hae and what i should be looking into any help is greatly appreciated thanks

------------------
Blair
'96 V8 F150 4x4 5sp Stock so far....

·
Registered
397 Posts
VPS -

Good attitude, man! I was in your shoes maybe 5 years ago, when I bought my YJ. First 4wd I ever owned, and it seemed natural to get into working on it (I'm a cheap bugger, which also helps).

Learning how your truck works is a great idea; it'll save you money in repair costs and help you fix stuff that breaks on the trail, where 99% of problems occur.

Some resources for you:
1) Get a Haynes or Chilton F150 manual from your local Lordco or wherever, and read up on the simple stuff, like tune-ups, brakes, etc. If/when the lack of information in that manual starts bothering you, pick up a set of factory shop manuals from www.helminc.com ($$$).
2) Start doing all your own maintenance work, brake jobs, fluid changes, things like that. If you need to have someone else take care of something, research the work involved anyway. Any questions? Ask us!
3) Invest some money in tools.
4) Get active in the local 4x4 community, both here on BC4x4 and elsewhere. Consider joining a club, or hooking up with other Ford owners and soaking up whatever knowledge and expertise they've got. Schmooze.
5) Use the Web. There's TONS of info out there, from 4x4 sites to F-series enthusiast boards. There's also lots of good general tech info, for example check this out: http://www.howstuffworks.com/sc-engines-automotive.htm

Good luck, and have fun!
Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with Cwate. I am very young but have had a lot of experience in mechanics. Me and my dad have undertaken numerous jobs that for a while we figured we couldn't do. One thing to remember is to just keep hammering away. Don't give up! Giving up will cost you big money and break your heart as the enemy has won. This summer we removed, rebuild and replaced the 3.0 litre V6 in my Yota, and I am telling you there were times when we were like damn maybe we ahould call a tow truck. But we got through it and it is running great. If your in school, take a mechanics course if your school offers it. If it doesn't offer it, transfer to one that does (thats what I did). Oh ya, if your gona four wheel, have fun when your break **** . I know a lot of people that cry about it.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Excellent advice, Doug. Sounds like you and your Dad are having a great time at this. I got into this (working on anything mechanical) pretty late in life (never did much wrenching when I was a young and dumb - as opposed to older and dumb) but everything you've said is right on. Attitude is everything.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited October 22, 2001).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot guys, im really glad theres a site like this for guys like me to get all the info i need

------------------
Blair
'96 V8 F150 4x4 5sp Stock so far....

·
Banned
23 Posts
If you wanna start learning about trucks, and all the wonderfull things about them, start helping friends on theirs...there must be one friend who has a truck and not a weener ride. As well, take a day to really sit down and look over everything on your truck, learn what parts are called and what they do. Just a start.

------------------
88 yota, couple solid parts on frame, is the box supposed to be in 2 pieces? tires... i think so. Lift? i don't even have springs.
"Is that a bad thing that my brake pedal is touching the floor"... we'll see when we hit that tree!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts