BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a 86 2wd chev 1/2 ton with a 305 and turbo 350 tranny. She doesn't ever drive it anymore and i could get it real cheap... maybe free. It has a decent body and runs alright... the rear end howls like a wolf.

I also have all the parts from my project truck which i have decided isn't worth finishing right now. It's a 1967 chev short box. I have 8" lift springs for it, Dana 60 from and a 14 bolt rear with a loc-right. I also have a NP205 and muncie four speed for it. All the parts are rebuilt and in almost new condition. I have been trying to finish the truck for almost 9 years now, and it seems like once it is done, i would never drive it and actually put that dana 60 to work.
So what i want to do... is put all the goodies into the 2wd and have a decent 4X, that i don't have to worry about scratching.
Has anyone done this type of conversion?? What does everyone think is envolved with this...? And should i do it... I need a truck to drive for the winter, so rather than get a beater again.... i figure this would be a worthy swap.
Also... can a standard NP205 be attached to a auto tranny... turbo 350 ect... probably not the 2wd version, but if i got a different one???

Help please...:welder

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes it can be done ,the rear diff will slide right into place as long as the leaf springs are the right length. The front diff is the one that takes a little time you will need all the 4wd spring mounts. I do believe i have a full set. Your biggest job is to line up the diff.You could also look into the price of a bare 4wd frame. The Np 205 will hook up to a turbo 400 just make sure it has the long tailshaft. Hope this helps a little. It will be a nice truck:******* :canadian

·
Registered
465 Posts
buy this month peterson 4x4 magazine
they talked about this swap..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have the front brackets i would need

If you have these brackets, would you be willing to sell them fairly cheap... I don't have a lot of money to waste on doing the swap if i decide to go ahead with it. If it is fairly simply, i am gonna do it though. I could get them from the locale pick a part, but drilling out all those rivets would kill my little cordless drill.
Are the frame rails the same from a 4wd to a 2wd at the front ?? if they are, then i could just measure the length that a 4wd has the brackets, and just place them x distance in from the end. That would line them up straight wouldn't they??? And then just bolt them on after drilling holes???
Will there be any issues with trying to fit the t case under the cab??

Thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
You will need to modify the floor of the cab to fit the t-case. First the 4speed you got refuires a big hump, and the t-case does too. The auto tranny tunnel in the donor truck will not work unless you put a body lift on or modify it.

If you are doing this on the cheap and want it to be done sometime soon I must recomend selling the 2wd and buying a 4x4 frame with a cab on it. You'll save yourself soo much hassle doing it that way.

Also I dont think 67-72 springs will work with 73-87 stuff unless you do some fab work.

I don't mean to discourage you too bad, its just that I've read sooo many of these posts and the bottom line is its always easier and cheaper to start with a 4x4 frame in the first place.

·
Registered
465 Posts
well it would require some welding work i beleive.. and are u good welder? and i agree about getting a 4x4 frame and cab u prob can get it for cheap.. and then swap all stronger parts u have on it..
would be lot more easier

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you have the factory front mounts the leaf spring mount is part of the rad support mount and bolts in. You will have to make the hole for the rear leaf spring mount on the front leaf springs. A grinder and coal chisel work better on the rivets. Like everybody has said it wouldn,t hurt to check on the price of a frame. Bottom line your decision. I'm sure everybody would agree 4x4ers do love a little challenge.:D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmmmmm.

Well, what i figure the easiest way to go then... would be to find the 4wd frame. Install the front springs, because i am sure they are the same as the later models, and set the D60 under it... Then for the back use front hangers front and back to get the shackle fliped and use the old 3" blocks I have to get it back up without using the older style springs. I am thinking you are right about them being different. I remember having to narrow the hangers on my 14 bolt. I guess that will have to go back where it was.
Could I get by using a 2" body lift to get everything to fit under the cab if i use an auto tranny. ?
What tranny came in a 86 2wd pickup on a 305 with overdrive? is that the 700 R4? Is there a way to get my NP205 to bolt up to it? or am i looking for a 4wd tranny? I want to be able to use the NP205 with an autmatic... I am sick of shifing, and don't feel like trying to put the clutch pedal assembly into the auto cab.

I can steal all the steering box and drop link from the project truck, all that stuff came from a later model anyways.

I had a look at the article in peterson's, but since i am using a different frame now, it's not a lot of help.

What do you guys say?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ok, your are definitely on the right track now.

Starting with the 4x4 frame saves you from the worst part and most difficult part of the job.

Using the front style front/back is a good idea, lemme know how it works out for ya, I've heard of it but never heard about what its like i.e pinion probs and whatnot.

Dunno about the 2" body, you might be able to swap the tranny tunnels.

Yes 700r4 in the 86, and to mount it to a 205 you need a 4x4 version and either a new tailshaft for the 700r4($$) a spacer (less$$) and a turbo350-NP205 adapter (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). And I think you need the tubro350 27spline version of the NP205 to do it.

Go to the np205 tech at www.offroaddesign.com and check, but I don't think your 10 spline sm465 version np205 will work with the auto tranny.

I would imagine cheapest route to auto4x4 would be a turbo350-np208.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes to mount a 4spd 205 to a TH700 R4, you need the 4x4 version of the TH700 r4 and a new custom tail shaft that sticks out 7/8" instead of the stock 2", then a TH350 to 205 adaptor plate and a 27 splined male input shaft for your 4spd np205(or a TH350 NP205), or you can keep the stock adaptor plate that was used on the TH700 r4 to mount the np208, so you don't need the custom tail shaft, and re-drill and tap that adaptor plate to fit the np205's mounting pattren, but you still need the TH350 version of the np205.

As for the tranny tunnel you cut a big hole(2wd cab) in it and buy a 4x4 tunnel from the wreckers and bolt it in and silicone it up, works perfect, I also have a 2" body lift, but I think there would be enough clearence without it.

---------------------
78 3/4T 350 chev:canadian

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the suburban frame is different.

Well, my options are getting better for this endevor... I had almost decided to give up.
1. Find a 4X frame from 83-87 right? or can I go older... Will a suburban from work??? For a reg cab, reg box.
2. Find aa 4X trans tunnel... Automotive sealer... and get out the sawzall...
3. Sell that 4 spd and 205 for a Th350 and NP205... Good luck right. I never liked the 700r4 and 208's. I had one in my 83 4x diesel... it always wined... popped out of gear ect. I hated the thing.
4. Does anyone know for sure the difference of 67-72 springs... to the later model springs... i think 73-87... is that right..?

I just remembered that my gear ratios are out on my axles. My front is 4:56... the rear is 4:10. **** can a guy swap 14 bolt gears from 4:10 to 4:56 fairly easy? Or am i better looking for a different rear... AHHHHGG.
I was gonna just worry about this when the project was together and rolling around.. .then icould decide if the 4:10's were low enough on 35's.
Anyone have any sugestions??? So far this has been a great help... I wanna go 4xing...

·
Registered
302 Posts
the suburban frames are different than the pickup frames so that wont work and the 208's arent bad t cases my friend never could break his and he beat on his truck good as for the prob of jumping out of gear that can be 2 problems one the linkage needed 2 be adjusted or 2 the shifter fork was worn not allowing it 2 fully ingauge and the gear swap can easily be done u just need a bearink kit and some gears (and somone who knows what there doing to set it all up )
bearing kit is about 80$ and a good used gear set is about 125 $

1 - 13 of 13 Posts