BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I want to start picking up the pieces that I am going to need to rebuild my 350. My buddy will do the assembly if I get the machining done and the parts? I want it to have enough torque to pull my 16 ft travel trailer but still have decent gas mileage around town. It is a 1972 block mated to a SM465 four speed.

What am I going to NEED to get? What are the advantages and disadvatages to going to a 383 stroker? I am kind of on a tight budget. Any info you might have would be appreciated!

Rod

------------------
The Heartbeat of Canada,
Yesterday's Chevy Truck

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have a good running chev 350, 4 bolt main, rebuilt in 98

its short.. meaning less accessories. $400.00

604-522-6280

if interested

Kyle

·
Registered
536 Posts
Originally posted by 72Blazerod:
Hi guys,

I want to start picking up the pieces that I am going to need to rebuild my 350. My buddy will do the assembly if I get the machining done and the parts? I want it to have enough torque to pull my 16 ft travel trailer but still have decent gas mileage around town. It is a 1972 block mated to a SM465 four speed.

What am I going to NEED to get? What are the advantages and disadvatages to going to a 383 stroker? I am kind of on a tight budget. Any info you might have would be appreciated!

Rod

depends on what you want 383 are nice but can be pricey.put a good 350 in with a nice cam that might be enough or go all out and go big block i have a computer program to help build engines works good like running a dyno let me know i might be able to help

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey the words tight buget and 383 stroker dont have any business being togeather trust me the short block alone is going to be like 1500 min. My personal advice would be to go to burnaby auto parts in surrey on 72nd or in burnaby and get a small block rebuild kit. It comes with the works, rv cam, pistons, bearings, gaskets ect it costs about $400, but if you return it they will rape you with some restocking fee, it happened to me and it cost about $70 so make shure you want it. just my advice make shure you know what bearings and pistons (size) you need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wondering what the computer program is called and where to get one. Thanks

[This message has been edited by yellowjimmy (edited January 29, 2002).]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Like Ewan said, 383 and budget DO NOT go together!! Gas Pigs, Way pricy to build (properly) and designed more for racecar application. With a properly selected parts list and well spent money you can acheive a decent performer for 750-1300 bux. Most important is your machining. Have the crank and block checked at a machine shop. Do this before you order your parts so you know what to order (ie-oversize or undersize stuff) Don't bore it unless needed. Boring the block ensures the need for new pistons. Also avoid a common mistake and put the old heads back on without giving them a good once over. Leaky valve guides turn a fresh engine into a smoky carboned up pile of crap. Take your time, do it ONCE, and don't buy the biggest cam you can find!!! Desktop Dyno is good to compare cam/intake/header/carb combos but do not take the numbers as the gospel, because it afterall, is NOT a dyno.
PS- drink beer AFTER you quit working on the engine, NOT while torquing down your rod caps.....trust me

------------------
if it ain't broke, you don't go hard enough!

·
Registered
83 Posts
AT LEAST!! You'd have to get one heck of a cheap machine shop to do it for that!

------------------
if it ain't broke, you don't go hard enough!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got a chevy big block 402 thats already done and will drop right in your truck The heads have been done it has stainless valves new springs. The cam range is from 1400 to 3800 rpm it has a noisy gear drive a steel crank it was bored .030 and the crank was line bored it was balanced. The pistons are kieth blacks and the have cast rings the comp ratio is 9.8to1. It has a H\O Msd distributer. It has a torker 2 aluminum intake and hedman headers. The only thing it dosent have is carb. I can scrape up reciepts for about $8000 but im selling it for $3600 or best offer. For $4000 It will come dynod. with all the info. Just a thought

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I mentioned that I was on a tight budget. If you'd take $1500, sold!

Originally posted by bigbluechevy:
I got a chevy big block 402 thats already done and will drop right in your truck The heads have been done it has stainless valves new springs. The cam range is from 1400 to 3800 rpm it has a noisy gear drive a steel crank it was bored .030 and the crank was line bored it was balanced. The pistons are kieth blacks and the have cast rings the comp ratio is 9.8to1. It has a H\O Msd distributer. It has a torker 2 aluminum intake and hedman headers. The only thing it dosent have is carb. I can scrape up reciepts for about $8000 but im selling it for $3600 or best offer. For $4000 It will come dynod. with all the info. Just a thought

------------------
The Heartbeat of Canada,
Yesterday's Chevy Truck

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse) will give you an A to Z kit for you 350 for pretty cheap. But the thing that might go overboard for you is machine shop expenses like boring, honing, head work, hot tanking etc.

My motor was 2000 dollars including a new carb, fuel pump, headers etc. Its a little bit hi performance to with a choppy cam and neat pistons.

------------------
89 YJ, totally modified except for the axles. 76 Army 1 Ton Chevy Pickup. I like any kind of 4x4 and I love overengineering!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts