BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who is building up a Sami, Were trying to figure out what the ideal tire size and susp. lift should be. Thinking 31's with a 4" lift? It's going to be used for both trails and mudding. Any opinions?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hmmm... ideal is a REAL big word. How much do you want to spend???

I'm putting a 4 inch lift on mine and doing it on the cheap. Buying used as much as I can (all bolt on cuz I can't weld) the cost is approx. $1100 (including new tires and wheels). I think the stock shackels are too short though, so I may need to add $50-$100 to that amount.

If money wasn't an object, for a daily driver I'd go full breeze (SPOA, X-over steering, track bar) that'll fit 31's. I'd add a rocklobster and do a 1600 FI conversion. Buying new and getting all the work done by someone else, off the top of my head that'll run abouy $6,000 I think. If you wait, buy used and do the work yourself you should be able to cut that in half.

Alpi's has a wrecked '85 with the SPOA done and a track bar, dunno how much they want, but you could go pick the axles off them if you want. Badgin says no limit off road did the work - ask around if they're good or bad, I have no idea.

David

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm runnin 33s, along with a 10" lift. I bought the vehicle like this, and for a daily driver... argh... its a little harsh.
BUT, I have yet to get stuck ANYWHERE since owning the vehicle. there have been times where some of my toyota friends have gone down some STEEP ravines, and I've had to back out and say 'honestly guys, I'm gonna go a$$ over tea kettle if I do that' I'd rather have maybe a 4" lift with 32s or 31s realistically. My truck looks really sweet, and the chicks really like it, but if your gonna use it for a daily driver, and mudding, go with a 4" lift and nothing bigger than 32s. Thats my 2 cents anyway....

------------------
1982 Suzuki SJ410
Dual Battery, 10" lift, 33X12.5X15, '94 swift motor, rancho's all 'round, 950watt offroad lights, 5spd, racing bucket seats, Aurrora plug wires.

Soon to be 5pnt harness, cd player, CB, truck bedliner entire interrior, more offroad lights :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by Throttle:
I'm runnin 33s, along with a 10" lift. I bought the vehicle like this, and for a daily driver... argh... its a little harsh.
BUT, I have yet to get stuck ANYWHERE since owning the vehicle. there have been times where some of my toyota friends have gone down some STEEP ravines, and I've had to back out and say 'honestly guys, I'm gonna go a$$ over tea kettle if I do that' I'd rather have maybe a 4" lift with 32s or 31s realistically. My truck looks really sweet, and the chicks really like it, but if your gonna use it for a daily driver, and mudding, go with a 4" lift and nothing bigger than 32s. Thats my 2 cents anyway....

Stick to a simple spring over. Get Randy a breeze to do your welding and slap every thing together your self and you will have an awesome daily driver and off roader. And all for $1000 bucks or so.... Hey throttle what color is your truck??

------------------
85 Samurai

·
Registered
431 Posts
Originally posted by Ryan:
Stick to a simple spring over. Get Randy a breeze to do your welding and slap every thing together your self and you will have an awesome daily driver and off roader. And all for $1000 bucks or so.... Hey throttle what color is your truck??

Uhhh... I gotta jump in here... there's no way he'll do that for $1000. Cost breakdown:

Basic SPOA $400 (no xover steering)
Shocks $200 (deal on rancho 5000)
Brake lines $100 (might be less if used)
wheels $160 (cheap white spokes)
Tires $250 (assuming %50 tread used ones)

That's $1100 with NO tax, No labour, and I'm giving GREAT proces on the parts. I'm not trying to jump all over you here, but I hate it when people walk in to a project without knowing the true costs (saw it all the time in racing). True cost of an SPOA is:

$2500 if you do all new, no work yourself, quality parts
$2000 if you do some used or some work yourself.
$1500 if you do most work yourself and hunt for good used prices.

David

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
Ryan is talking about the lift only. I agree the SPOA set up is the way to go. You'll kick yourself later if you go with anything else. Save your cash and do it right the first time to save yourself the hassles later. There is a reason that the stuff cost as much as it does and the reason is that it just plain works. Come to Sport Trucks this weekend and you'll see what I mean.

------------------
Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure if you're considering picking up the axles off that one at Alpi's but before you do you might want to consider that the 85 axles are 3 inches shorter than the 86 and ups. It's possible that the person swapped in the 86 and up axles though so check before you buy.

I would say that a 5-6 inch lift with 31's is perfect to start off with. Any bigger and you're definitely going to have to either put in a 4.16:1 t-case or get lower gears in the axles.

David is right with his prices, especially with buying tires and shocks. You can do it yourself and probably get away with it costing $1500 or less.

Some ways to save money:
- get used brake lines from a wrecker
- buy new spring perches from a trailer shop and weld them on yourself
- use the stock shocks for a while (not ideal)
- bend and brace the draglink yourself

Robin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts