BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need to change the shock mount positions or are the shocks you buy for the Sammy short enough for standard mounting positions??

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can buy rancho 9000's in the proper size to fit the stock sami shock locations.

but...

In my opinion it would be a waste of money to pay that much for those shocks and not get the full potential out of them. In the stock position you will not get much axle travel and you will end up wanting longer shocks eventually.

So, I would either:

a) buy some cheapo shocks now and run them until you do your lift and/or change your existing shock mounts

or...

b) modify the mounts now and get the longest travel shocks you can in the 9000's or whatever.

Of course this is all my opinion, if you have questions let me know.

HTH,
Robin.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Robin, what all does it entail to change your mount positions, I guess that would require weldin new ones in somewhere else hey?

Would the rears just be moved towards the center of the truck and the front be raised??

Any idea how much higher they need to go?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally posted by Flyboy:
Would the rears just be moved towards the center of the truck and the front be raised??
Yup, basically. Move the tops of the rear shocks in until they're almost touching and make sure your lower mounts are at the bottom of the axle. That will give you the most travel in the rear.

In the front, grind off the top mounts, buy some Ford shock towers and bolt/weld them as high as you can and put the lower mounts at the bottom of the axle. With this configuration you will get the most travel possible without having to cut sheet metal, etc.

Robin.

[This message has been edited by schmiot (edited September 07, 2001).]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man this is lookin' more like I am gonna have to learn how to weld. LOL

Thx, I will have to save this one for the future.

-Flyboy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts