BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so basically swapin for sfa is my only option eh? Is it more expensive to lift with ifs?
thanks

------------------
B-ROCK

·
Registered
193 Posts
IFS does ride on the street very nice. My dad owns a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited and he is always amazed at how much smoother my 1993 toyota with mud terrains is than his jeep. It doesnt tip and pitch nearly as much. But my IFS is coming out as soon as I get the $$$. The problem is that it costs like 1100 bucks to lift IFS (not including new wheels needed) and you don't gain any wheel travel at all. Why not spend a bit more on a SAS and get tons of flex and fit 35's easy. And it's way stronger and easier to do trail repairs.

------------------
93' x-tra cab. I hate my IFS. Ya I know your rig is better than mine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
IFS is good for nothing other than handling on the road.That is the only advantage I can think of.Do an SAS instead of IFS lift,It will be way better in the long run.

------------------
86 4-runner 305,TH350,203,threelink front,6inch skyjacker rear.5.29s,lockers

[This message has been edited by callan (edited November 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by B-ROCK:
Are there any advantages to IFS?

Sure - for high speed desert runner trucks IFS is the only way to go. It keeps your truck flat and stable on hard landings.
Too bad we don't have a lot of desert in BC

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

[This message has been edited by Chris S (edited November 26, 2001).]

·
Registered
431 Posts
Originally posted by Chris S:
Sure - for high speed desert runner trucks IFS is the only way to go. It keeps your truck flat and stable on hard landings.
Too bad we don't have a lot of desert in BC

IFS absolutey rocks on gravel roads, washboard, logging roads, etc.

David

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by B-ROCK:
Are there any advantages to IFS?

You bet! Cut it all out tie a rope around it and you have on hell of an anchor for your boat.

------------------
Happiness is belt fed weapons and road noise

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Do a SAS cuz IFS is too weak, you can put up with a washboard effect for the advantages
offroad. The SAS will save you time and money in the long run.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do a SAS cuz IFS is too weak, you can put up with a washboard effect for the advantages
offroad. The SAS will save you time and money in the long run.
the cv joints are weak. The ifs (toyota) system is actually very strong. Tires bigger than 33's will start to snap cv joints. If you wanna run 33's or under keep the IFS, if you want bigger then SAS is the general rule.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
ifs... Its ****in Stupid lol its good for the road but thats about it, mind you i wheeled my jimmy quite a bit with ifs, broke a lot of parts on the front of my truck, now im doing a sas on it

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
toy ifs isnt all that bad...of course its no SA but its plenty strong. depends on what you do with it. my IFS has gotten me through quite a bit...the only thing holding me back is clearance & front locker. havent snapped any CV's yet, but im running 35's now..so we'll see.

wheel your IFS till its fubar'd..then cut it out for a solid axle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
toy ifs isnt all that bad...of course its no SA but its plenty strong. depends on what you do with it. my IFS has gotten me through quite a bit...the only thing holding me back is clearance & front locker. havent snapped any CV's yet, but im running 35's now..so we'll see.

wheel your IFS till its fubar'd..then cut it out for a solid axle.
I would agree with this. So far my IFS has held up well and I have been able to out drive my buddy in his XJ several times now.

That brings about another point...driver technique/skill. How you drive the vehicle plays a big part in how the IFS handles/suffers.

Whether or not to go with a solid axle as more to do with what you want your truck for and how much your wallet is able to handle. For me, I am happy challenging myself and learning what I can do with what I have...as mentioned before, until its fubar'd, i'll keep wheelin it.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts