BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much lift can you get? what is max? wht is the best!?

------------------
Poguebilt Toys..... A new breed of Toyota Perfection.
1986 Toyota pickup solid axle conv. 5" susp. 3"body 36" tslsx siped
spool rear, detroit front, 5012's, 44044's, 4cyl bored, balanced, Doug thorley header, flowmaster muffler, OTT crossover steering , u-bolt flip F/R, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Cranking up the bars might seem like a good idea ,but it's going to hit the bump stops and ride like a paint shaker.
Also not good for cv joint angles and the boots.
Better off to go with a properly engineered lift kit or better yet a solid axle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
2 inches of lift can be acheives if you convert to manual locking hubs. There will be NO CV joint wear with manual locking hubs. Grab the hubs off of an 86-89 truck or 4runner. They directly bolt up. Will save gas as well, I also lost a lot of drivetrain vibes when I switched to manual hubs. The ride will be slightly harsher. It will not hurt your flexx because toyota ifs doesnt flex, I attribute it more to bending. A lot of people say it hurst flex, but I have my bars cranked, with low pro bumpstops and a chopped droop stop and I flex to my bumpstops every time I go wheeling.

You will wear your torsion bars out faster.

Tweaking the bars an inch is great for clearing 32's with no bodylift, it provides just enough lift so you can get by untill you have enough money to cut the ifs out and put a solid front axel in.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx guys.... It's for a truck my buddy is lokin at buying it has a 3" body and he want's to run 33's I was thinkin of crankin the tortion bars up and putting a longer shackle in the rear.....
it is an 86 so it has manual hubs.....

thanx!

------------------
Poguebilt Toys..... A new breed of Toyota Perfection.
1986 Toyota pickup solid axle conv. 5" susp. 3"body 36" tslsx siped
spool rear, detroit front, 5012's, 44044's, 4cyl bored, balanced, Doug thorley header, flowmaster muffler, OTT crossover steering , u-bolt flip F/R, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Doug:
2 inches of lift can be acheives if you convert to manual locking hubs. There will be NO CV joint wear with manual locking hubs.
Uh, when you're in 4 it will wear the CV boots a heck of alot faster. Once those boots rip open and spit out their grease the CV joints last so long.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.

·
Registered
416 Posts
There's nothing more frightening than the CV joint angles on a lifted IFS...like a ticking time bomb.

I guess a guy with 16yr old Birfields shouldn't talk about time bombs, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.