BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it more expensive for a body lift with IFS? How high do i need to go for 33's. Thanks a lot guys, i'm a ROOKIE

------------------
ROOKIE- 88 s10 chicks dont like lowered trucks

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
Originally posted by B-ROCK:
Is it more expensive for a body lift with IFS? How high do i need to go for 33's. Thanks a lot guys, i'm a ROOKIE
First of all welcome to the board.

With a body lift you are not changing anything with the suspension so it won't be that expensive, even for an IFS truck. The only thing is you won't be gaining any clearance under your diffs with a body lift...maybe a little with the 33's. A three inch body lift should be more than enough to fit 33's on your truck.

I was considering a 4 inch IFS lift for my Ranger with possibly a 3 inch body lift but have decided to save my money until I can do a SAS with 6 inches of suspension lift and 33's.

------------------
Leo
Herd of Turtles 4WD Society
www.hot.alloffroad.com

[This message has been edited by 1badfordtruck (edited November 28, 2001).]

·
Registered
193 Posts
There is really no point in buying a suspension lift for IFS. My friend has managed to fit 33's with a 2 inch body lift, add-a leafs in back and some torsion bar tweaking. For about 180 bucks you get the exact same result as a 1400 dollar ifs lift.

------------------
93' x-tra cab. I hate my IFS. Ya I know your rig is better than mine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A 3" body lift will fall short for 33's. On a s10 you will need to go with the Trailmaster 5" kit plus some minor trimming for road use and a three inch body lift for off road use.

------------------
90 Sub,496BBC,d60,14b,detroits f+r, 44 boggers,th400,np205,insane ,warn15000,balls of steel

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is really no point in buying a suspension lift for IFS. My friend has managed to fit 33's with a 2 inch body lift, add-a leafs in back and some torsion bar tweaking. For about 180 bucks you get the exact same result as a 1400 dollar ifs lift.
Doing a torsion bar tweak and add-a-leafs IS a suspension lift, albeit a small one. A 1400 dollar lift usually gives you more than just height, like stiffer torsion bars, stronger A arms, high angle ball joints, shocks, etc (all necessary with anything more than a 1 or 2 inch sus. lift). So compare apples with apples. Doing just the torsion bar and shackles with a body lift does not give you, as you said "the exact same result".

Keep in mind, even a small lift like you mentioned does help, anything that pushes the frame higher off the ground is a Good Thing.

I don't know anything about S-10's, but if you did a body lift would you also have to extend the steering column, and cover the gaps in the wheel wells?

Jens

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Doug:
For about 180 bucks you get the exact same result as a 1400 dollar ifs lift.
Uh, isn't the idea behind a suspension lift to gain more wheel travel?

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by B-ROCK:

First off I'd like to say hi to everyone. I'm new to the bb and area.

As for B-rock you have a nasty truck for doin waht you wanna do (I have a 96). First off if, you just tweek your T bars and add a leaf (pro comp $50), you will gain on max about 3". With this you can just fit on 31's. But you will rub your fram in tight turns. Plus with adding the large tires with out new A arms you are going to throw your camber out and go through ball joints every 20 - 30K. Superlift has a 2" for about $400 U.S plus install. Trailmaster has a 5" for close to $1600 U.S and it is a 3 day install. Even with a 5" you still can only go to 32" tires. All in all if your heart is on the s-10 a S.A.S is your best bet and about the same price (same year front end from cherokee). Oh ya one last thing you will have to swap gears because those 2:11 arent going to cut it unless your truck is rare and blessed with 3:73's

------------------
Happiness is belt fed weapons and road noise

[This message has been edited by Stinky Pete (edited December 19, 2001).]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Another problem with tweaking the torsion bars is that it doesn't really help your suspension flex. You end up loosing more droop at the cost of lifting the vehicle. So, the torsion bar twist will let you fit bigger tires, which will help offroad, but your suspension's ability to follow the ground will be impaired. Although I'm not a big fan of bodylifts over 1", it may be the better choice in this case. Unless you spend $$ on a kit that lowers your IFS components to achieve lift. Or swap in a solid axle. <g>

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was speaking from my experience with Toyotas.

First of all I haven't heard of an IFS lift where you get new torsions bars. Perhaps i am wrong, let me know if I am. I know there aren't any for toyotas, unless you go for stuff like Downeys 10 inch travel lift, but it's not street worthy.

Yes the point of lifting your suspension is to gain wheel travel but that is why you don't lift IFS. You don't gain ANY wheel travel. (fill me in if you do with other manufacturers, but as far as toyota goes you gain no wheel travel lifting IFS).

As far as tweaking torsion bars goes you guys need to remember that IFS does not flex at all. I have low pro bump stops and have cut my droop bumpstop and removed my sway bar and I think I might be getting 4-5 inches of travel....maybee less. You don't have to tweak the bars too much to get a small amount of lift. Even with them tweaked I still flex to my stops every single time I go wheeling.

There are aftermarket kits such as http://www.rockstomper.com They have a travel kit that you have to weld into your existing pro-comp or trailmaster 4 inch kit. But even that only gives you so much extra travel.

------------------
93' x-tra cab. I hate my IFS. Ya I know your rig is better than mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are right about the T-bars Doug. The superlift 2" only gives you new T-bar adjuster arms.

As for the bump stops. If you don't change the upper arm you no longer have the right angles. Which not only makes your bumps wrong it also puts srtess on the original cv boot. Not a big deal unless it gets damaged and goes unnoticed.

------------------
Happiness is belt fed weapons and road noise

[This message has been edited by Stinky Pete (edited December 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
608 Posts
The cheapest way to fit 33's is to do the t-bar crank, spring-over, 3" body lift and alot of sawzall work. A friend of mine did a spring-over on his S-Blazer in the rear but he had to extend his d-shaft 1". The back sits only 2.5"'s higher. Any of the kits available are too expensive, I had this problem. On my S-15 truck I did a SFA to fit 33's. I also would recomend a set of bushwhaker cut-out fender flares. Oh, the tires couldn't be wider than 10.5"
The superlift kit also includes new upper controll arms. Check out http://pub95.ezboard.com/bs10extremists

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by Doug:
First of all I haven't heard of an IFS lift where you get new torsions bars. Perhaps i am wrong, let me know if I am. I know there aren't any for toyotas, unless you go for stuff like Downeys 10 inch travel lift, but it's not street worthy.

Both Downey and Rancho and I believe one or two other companies make aftermarket torsion bars, but I've never bothered checking them out. It's more of an road handling quality thing.

There are aftermarket kits such as http://www.rockstomper.com They have a travel kit that you have to weld into your existing pro-comp or trailmaster 4 inch kit. But even that only gives you so much extra travel.

FYI the Rockstomper kit is a ball joint spacer for the upper a-arm ball joint and it gives you a few inches more compression, but no more droop.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ok, so is it WORTH it to tweek the torsion bars or not? my pathfinder is sitting pretty much stock, mild body lift. I wanted to tweek it up an inch from the bars, but i heard this throws camber way off, kills highway performance, etc.. all in all is it worth the inch? Then i want to know if anyone know how to perform any other cheap lift on a pathfinder/related vehicle? Also once skid plates are on, bull bar bumpers are installed, what should be the next offroad modification?

------------------
79 ford, 50" tires, dana 60 axles, twin 500 ci engines (i wish) really an 89 pathfinder, somewhat stock, anyone with spare change so i can change the stock look?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.