BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay im not sure if im on crack cuz i think a while back someone told me that if you take parts off a porches suspension and combine them with the toyota IFS you can actually get some flex.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I believe that the Porsche constant velocity joints are used from a 930's series Porsche. They allow for more travel and can handle a lot more HP!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I ain't no Yota guy but from all the campfire talk I've heard, you're much better off spending your $$ on a solid axle swap. By the time you finish swapping the porsche joints in you've spent big $$ and you've still got IFS. :D The solid axle swap will give you more flex, cheaper parts, and (depending on what axle you use) more strength.

FWIW, Scott (the guy who owns RockStomper and the one who help pioneer the porsche / IFS thing) runs a solid axle in his trail rig now.

IMHO, etc.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Yeah what he said.

Yes the porsche CV joints have more available travel, but you're not gonna be any better off unless you run some aftermarket A-arms and related components. The stock a-arms dont have anywhere near enough travel available to max out your stock CV joints, unless of course you've removed the bump stops :D.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah im doing a SAS but just while im saving up the parts to get the SAS done i want to have IFS that Kinda flexes :) is that an oxymoron?

O yeah anyone here have a COMPLETE sas list?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If you're going to do an SAS anyhow, why bother with the porsche joints? Just wait it out, it'll save you time and money and with the money saved, you can get your SAS done just that much faster!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i dont think i will bother with the porche joints. i thought it might be a "cheaper" fix for flex for a while untill i got my SAS done. Ive never done a SAS so i think i will try it myself. Does anyone on the board do or know someone that does them for cheap?? Cheapest estimate i got so far was 700

·
Registered
222 Posts
What do you get for 700?

Hy-steer alone is gonna run over 1000. I think the most expensive part of doing an SAS is all the other goodies you need. Like new gears and tires now that you have so much lift.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why would i need gears?? im only gonna be running 33's and only the rear is gonna be locked. and im not running high steer.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
PoorMans4x4 said:
why would i need gears?? im only gonna be running 33's and only the rear is gonna be locked. and im not running high steer.
why would u need gears! u need them trust me. in my 85 toy with a 5 speed, i went from 31's to 33's :eek: holy ****, i couldn't even spin the 33's at all in gravel in second, in 2wd but with 31's they would spin easy. with 33;s and 4:11's its tollerable. and when i do it again. its 5:29's lockers f/r and 35's:******* but its ok just kinda slow, and ****s your clutch up a bit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts