BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking (always thinking about) changing my IFS to a straight axle. How much of a time and money investment would this be? Just considering possibilities for things that i could do to my truck.

------------------
Modification? What modifications?

·
Registered
229 Posts
He he I just thought of a name for your truck, Bry. It has been on my lawn so long I am naming it the Pink Flamingo.

I was just checking out the All-pro site a couple of hours ago. They want like $1,600 US for parts with out the axle itself and like $3500-5500 with their built axles.
http://www.allprooffroad.com/solid.html

I'm sure that if we could find an axle that the local shops could do a conversion for cheaper. PG is supposed to be one of the cheapest places for mods.

[This message has been edited by Poor A$$ Stock '93 (edited February 25, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts

It's alot of work and money. There are alot of things that need to be considered before you pass the point of no return (pictured above
).

What it really comes down to is asking yourself what kind of wheeling you want to do in your truck and does that kind of wheeling require a live axle.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
SAS front lift complete 3400$
rear to match 600$
gears and spool goin in next week 1200$
thats making everything brand new,and using all the good stuff.my original est. cost to do it was like 2400$ so what ever you think it will cost add like 1000$.it took me about 8 months to save all the parts up and did it in a 6 days(while going to work on 4 of those days)
you will want to get tires too,I paid 250 for swampers and 10 inch alu. rims.but I got a good deal

------------------
Its done.44044's,chevy's,9012's,36 swampers.and it still fits in the garage!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by Dan O:
SAS front lift complete 3400$
rear to match 600$
gears and spool goin in next week 1200$
thats making everything brand new,and using all the good stuff.my original est. cost to do it was like 2400$ so what ever you think it will cost add like 1000$.it took me about 8 months to save all the parts up and did it in a 6 days(while going to work on 4 of those days)
you will want to get tires too,I paid 250 for swampers and 10 inch alu. rims.but I got a good deal

Does that include labor if you have to get a shop to do the work or assuming that you have the know-how/time to do it all yourself?

·
Registered
544 Posts
did it all myself.

------------------
Its done.44044's,chevy's,9012's,36 swampers.and it still fits in the garage!

·
1,269 Posts
With my beater car and 3 months insurance on it (which is up on the 1st and the truck isn't done) I'm over $5000, and my original budget was lower than Dan O's. I'd say make an educated guess and then double it.

------------------

·
1,269 Posts
Al from 4offrd told me the other day they ballpark a solid swap on coils at around $5000. Remember that's just an estimate.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts