BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the many posts about registration problems, vehicle inspection nightmares etc. I decide to go outside and have a look at my SJ410 that I bought about a year ago. BIG PROBLEM: the VIN number on the registration/insurance papers and the one on the dash DO NOT match. Not even close. However the secondary VIN- which is very noticeable, on the passenger side frame rail matches the registration papers and every other document I have for the vehicle including a lien and past vehicle damage search done at time of purchase. The VIN that is on the dash is actually, from factory, a sticker type VIN beleive it or not(other SJ410 owners can verify this), not a steel plate as most vehicle VINs,including Samurai's are. Right now its registered-insured etc legit, instead of bringing this to ICBC's attention and fawking myself, should I just black- out the non-matching VIN on the dash? Also the vehicle is listed as a Suzuki Forsa on the papers,not Sj410. I have heard from other SJ410 owners that it is common for them to be documented as Forsas because Sj410 doesn't exist in ICBC's computers. Highly stressed - and mad at myself for not picking up on this when I bought it. What the fawk should I do? :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Find a friend that knows works for an insurance seller, or ICBC. They are the ones that will know.

With any luck, it's a just a replaced cab and not stolen/tampered with.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BlameCanada said:
If you have other VIN tags, just remove the dash one. Problem solved.

How was that hard? :rolleyes:
Yup that's what I did the very cheesy SJ410 VIN sticker on dash rubbed off with my finger!!!!!!!!! Very hard to tell it was even there. So now the only VIN on the vehicle -on the pass-frame rail- matches all the paper work I have. So if a cop stops me, I say what? "I dunno why there aint no VIN on the dash, there's never been one there since I owned it." Is that good? Can any SJ410 owners verify for me that their vehicle is shown on the papers as Suzuki Forsa also?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have seen several SJ410's and LJ's registered as Forsa's in the past few years. The owners had the same problem with ICBC's computers not having the 410 model listed. If you do have problems with the miss-matched VIN's you can get an ICBC assigned VIN to overcome your apparent problem.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
steve_j said:
I have seen several SJ410's and LJ's registered as Forsa's in the past few years. The owners had the same problem with ICBC's computers not having the 410 model listed. If you do have problems with the miss-matched VIN's you can get an ICBC assigned VIN to overcome your apparent problem.
Ok so how did they become Forsa's to begin with? Do you think the insurance agents did this to get around the problem of 410 not being in the computers? And how would I get an ICBC assigned VIN. From an agent?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the reason they use Forsa is it's the only thing listed in their computer for that particular year. They probably don't care if it is wrong, I've also ran into lots of different vehicles registered under the wrong year through ICBC, sometimes by as much as 3 years. For the ICBC VIN you need to go through an inspection and also see your agent for a VIN. Technically everybody who does a cab or frame swap is supposed to have this done, if there are VIN's on both the frame and on the body. My best suggestion is to do what the others have been telling you, remove all the VIN's on your truck that don't match your registration papers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
steve_j said:
I think the reason they use Forsa is it's the only thing listed in their computer for that particular year. They probably don't care if it is wrong, I've also ran into lots of different vehicles registered under the wrong year through ICBC, sometimes by as much as 3 years. For the ICBC VIN you need to go through an inspection and also see your agent for a VIN. Technically everybody who does a cab or frame swap is supposed to have this done, if there are VIN's on both the frame and on the body. My best suggestion is to do what the others have been telling you, remove all the VIN's on your truck that don't match your registration papers.
ok i did ur suggestion. Real easy-just a sticker to rub off-can't tell it was ever there. These early 410's seem to have only two VIN's frame and dash. Corvettes have like 30-40. So now the only remaining VIN on the vehicle-on the frame, matches my paperwork. Now what if a cop says where is the VIN on ur dash? Cause 99% of vehicles have a VIN on their dash.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
You 'could' walk into an ICBC claim center and tell them you got it and just notice it doesn't have a VIN on the dash. See what they say.

ICBC will tend to make your good deed expensive.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks but no fawking way I'll do that!! That's just asking for a nightmare. Think I'll go shopping for a numbered punch set.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
229 Posts
410 you say...Hmmmm

I have no dash so there fore I have no vin there but I do have a nice rivited on one below the drivers side speaker.

To tell you the truth I have never had a cop look at my VIN's. As long as you have the vin on the frame matching your insurance papers I'm sure they wouldn't be bothered bugging you. I mean heck just tell them you damaged the body 4x4ing and this one is a replacement... Dont see the problem there....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tuner Inside said:
410 you say...Hmmmm

I have no dash so there fore I have no vin there but I do have a nice rivited on one below the drivers side speaker.

To tell you the truth I have never had a cop look at my VIN's. As long as you have the vin on the frame matching your insurance papers I'm sure they wouldn't be bothered bugging you. I mean heck just tell them you damaged the body 4x4ing and this one is a replacement... Dont see the problem there....
This is strange Tuner. Because as far as I know the plate below the drivers side started on Samurai's. 410's had a dash VIN like mine a sticker-print on type. Good suggestions about after market dash replacement and body damage wheeling. Thanks guys...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well I know for a fact that mine is pre 84 because of the lack of a proportioning valve(had front drum brakes.) And the body is original and is definitly a 410 due to the dash and a few other small things.

I still say just drive it the way it is. Just explain the body has been replaced due to off roading damage. Simple Eh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts